Sign in to follow this  

Looking at KTM, but need some help!

I'm looking to get a new bike and have narrowed it down to a YZ 250, KTM 250SX or the 200XC. I currently own a 03' YZ 250 so I'm confident I know what I'd be getting with a new one. As for the KTM's though I'm kind of clueless as the last one I had was a 99' EXC. As for me I'm 5'10", 170lbs, and 50 years of age. I'd say I'm your average C class rider, go to the local tracks at times, but generaly prefer the trail. Our trail rides normaly consist of more easier/faster type stuff than the slow technical type. I know I like lite bikes, found that out when I switched from the KTM to the YZ, re-enforced this when I rode a friends YZ 125 and loved it, untill the point where the trail got tougher and went uphill, then I wanted my 250 back. I've never ridden either of these KTM's I'm looking at, and probably won't before I buy. From what little I've read they sound like possible candidates to me. What do you all think? How do these bikes compare? Is the power of the 200 closer to a 250 or that 125 I rode? Any help with this decission would be appreciated so please feel free to add your .02.

hallsy, the 200 has dang near 250 power in a 125 frame. Are you keeping the YZ? You should consider the 200W as well. It has softer valving than the XC, same 2nd - 4th gearing, lower 1st, and taller 5th, 6th.

I got a chance to ride an 05 YZ 125 recently. I was amazed at how hard I had to work to get it to go. Nothing like a 200.

The 250SX is going to be similar to the YZ, with more adjustable power delivery in stock form. It has a switchable 2 map ignition, and an adjustable PV with 3 different springs to adjust when and how hard it hits. I used one for off road duties and would get another one. One disadvantage it has is the smaller tank for extended rides. With that said, I will have a hard time stepping away from the 200.

There's lots of talk about these bikes here, hopefully you can find some good reading on them. Searching can be a pain sometimes.

FYI: 08 250SX, lightest 2 stroke built at 208 lbs wet. 08 200XC or W 209lbs wet. Both these bikes feel extremely light on the trail and when picking them up. This is what has me on one now. I want the lightest bike I can be on, getting too old to pick up a heavy bike. Plus my knees like me better. :)

Dont forget the KTM300. I just bought one coming off a 250F and LOVE my 300. I ride technical single track, dual sport, and faster trails with some MX thrown in. The 300 is just awsome! tons or low end torque. Its a tractor but will really move out when you twist the loud handle.

A couple years ago there was a local guy who raced a 200 in the 250/450 class here. I don't recall if he ever won, but he was always in the top 10 and often in the top 5. I don't think you'd ever do that on a 125. Rather than the SX250, you should look at the XC. It's more versital than the SX, and about as fast. I've had mine to the track a couple times, and never felt that the MX bikes had any real advantage over me. The 300 is a living legend. You can't miss with that one. The Yamaha is also a fine motorcycle. Which one has the best dealer support? That would be my pick.

Based soley off what you said, I would pick a 200 for you. I'm a big guy, 5' 11" 215lbs and so I need a 300. However, I've ridden the 08 200 and was pleasantly surprised. If I could drop weight to 180 I'd seriously consider one!

Based soley off what you said, I would pick a 200 for you. I'm a big guy, 5' 11" 215lbs and so I need a 300. However, I've ridden the 08 200 and was pleasantly surprised. If I could drop weight to 180 I'd seriously consider one!

what are ya tryin to say??:) I am 6', 210 and my 200 has plenty of umph.

it would be easier to loose 5 lbs. hehee

Based soley off what you said, I would pick a 200 for you. I'm a lazy old guy that is compensating for something and so I need a 300. However, I've ridden the 08 200 and was pleasantly surprised. If I could drop weight to 180 I'd seriously consider one!

Fixed that for ya. :)

Hallsy I just sold an '07 YZ250 I was riding in both faster more open sand areas as well as tight single track. My '07 was quite a bit more powerful & harder hitting than an '01. And that's with a 13 ounce flywheel weight & HD rear tube. For this 46 YO C rider the YZ was great in the open areas, too much in tight single track.

Right before I sold it I rode a box stock '08 KTM 250SX up & down a dirt rode for all of 5 minutes. The flywheel equipped YZ still hit harder & faster than the KTM, and had a little better bottom end. The KTM felt quite a bit lighter.

gmoss, Yea the YZ's a keeper, for me the best I've owned so far, plus we really need 3 bikes around here anyway. As for the 200W, I have given it some thought, a little concerned about the ultra low 1st and the bikes ability to pull the larger gaps. I tend to lug anyway, easy to do on the YZ, don't think I'd get away with it on either of the 200's. On the other hand I'm thinking the top speed of the XC may leave me wanting more. I get along ok with these close ratio's in the 250's (max speed @ 70mph), sure would be nice to have some more at times, but those don't come along too often. What can I expect from the 200's in regards to top speed? As for the 250, all that tunability sounds nice but I wonder if you really notice much, my 99' had the adjustable power valve, though I never changed the spring I did play with the adjuster, didn't seem to make a difference. Did you notice a difference in the maps and springs with your SX? I'm not a fan of large tanks myself, thus far I've managed to get @ 65 miles out of these 2 gallon tanks, generally thats more than I need. I'd much rather ride than push though. This could lead to a question you've probably never heard before, instead I'll check the parts fiche.(LOL) Even though the 200 and 250 are nearly identical in weight, did one feel lighter or more flickable than the other when ridden?

yzman400, that 300 sounds like a great bike too, but as I said before, I know I like light, so I'm goinig to stick with that for now.

kain522, you may be right about the XC being more versatil, and I'm certain I'd like the XC suspension better than the SX, but I'm lusting over the idea of a 208 lb bike with the power of a 250. If KTM wasn't offering it, I'd be looking at the XC. Dealer support is available for both, neither is close though as I have to drive by a others to get to them.

Wrfrk, I haven't ridden a 200 other than a KDX, I must admit I never thought much of them untill I owned one, what a great little bike that was, shame on you Kawasaki! :)

SkiDaddy, Glad to see your still around, I was affraid you'd drowned or something! It's hard to tell much on a dirt road, kinda like when the dealer lets you ride one around the parking lot. I'm not convinced the 07' motor has much if anything over the 03', havn't ridden one though. However at your elevation they'd both run alot better than in this thin air. Now I know you found more out of your YZ when you got through jetting. Maybe the same could be true of the KTM no? Think back to when your YZ was box stock and running on the rich side. Hey what ever happened with you getting a new KTM, did I miss it?

I haven't bought a brand new bike in over 20 years, the best I've come up with so far is right at $6,000 OTD for either of these 08' KTM's I'm looking at, what do you guys think, is this a fair price?

gmoss, Yea the YZ's a keeper, for me the best I've owned so far, plus we really need 3 bikes around here anyway. As for the 200W, I have given it some thought, a little concerned about the ultra low 1st and the bikes ability to pull the larger gaps. I tend to lug anyway, easy to do on the YZ, don't think I'd get away with it on either of the 200's. On the other hand I'm thinking the top speed of the XC may leave me wanting more. I get along ok with these close ratio's in the 250's (max speed @ 70mph), sure would be nice to have some more at times, but those don't come along too often. What can I expect from the 200's in regards to top speed? As for the 250, all that tunability sounds nice but I wonder if you really notice much, my 99' had the adjustable power valve, though I never changed the spring I did play with the adjuster, didn't seem to make a difference. Did you notice a difference in the maps and springs with your SX? I'm not a fan of large tanks myself, thus far I've managed to get @ 65 miles out of these 2 gallon tanks, generally thats more than I need. I'd much rather ride than push though. This could lead to a question you've probably never heard before, instead I'll check the parts fiche.(LOL) Even though the 200 and 250 are nearly identical in weight, did one feel lighter or more flickable than the other when ridden?

as I said, the 200 W and XC share the same 2nd -4th gears, and they are close ratios!!! I like the granny low first, just in case. I don't like having to use first when riding, keeping from an accidental neutral shift. I have no trouble pulling 5th and 6th, though I really don't need them often.

The SX and 200 are going to feel about the same under ya. The 200 will feel oh so slightly smaller if you are tuned enough to feel it. The SX and 200 are my 2 favorite KTM smokers and I would have a tough time choosing one over the other if I was in the market for one, though the 200 fits my riding terrain and style better. The SX is just a fun bike to ride, though not the right tool for my off road duties.

Since you are going to keep the YZ, a 200 would be a great companion.:)

First, I have ridden a 2002 YZ250F and the powerband is similar to my 2004 200SX (MX version). Stock is about 37 hp for the 200SX.

1. Do you need more power due to altitude? Colorado right?

The 200SX works for me, but I am at sea level.

2. Where do you like to ride in the powerband?

Bottom, middle, top end?

200, 250, 300. Just pick your power band.

Accept the bigger bikes weigh a little more.

The power can work for you (up hills) or against you (tight woods).

3. Final review.

The 200 is for people who want a 125 size bike with almost 250 power.

The 300 is for people who want a 250 with 4-stroke bottom end.

The 250 is for people who want a 250. Go figure

I switch off between my XR400 and 200SX.

Kevin

Fixed that for ya. :D

Hahahaha, who's callin who old........ :)

Since you are going to keep the YZ, a 200 would be a great companion.:)

You could be right, sometimes I wish I'd never sold that KDX!