Sign in to follow this  

Noobie to DR650SE 2004

Just got a 2004 DR650SE with only 715 miles on it. It will be mainly for to and from work. So what do I do for mostly street tires? Exhaust? Any mods you can think of that will make the bike work better. It will rarely see dirt. Just too good to pass up as a cheap form of transportation.

Also, its yellow. Can I change it to the blue? Are all the OEM parts available?

Thanks in advance.

Just got a 2004 DR650SE with only 715 miles on it. It will be mainly for to and from work. So what do I do for mostly street tires? Exhaust? Any mods you can think of that will make the bike work better. It will rarely see dirt. Just too good to pass up as a cheap form of transportation.

Welcome aboard!

The stock TrailWing tires are supposed to be decent on the street.

Do you need more power? The stock DR is pretty peppy.

Exhaust will get you a little more power, but a lot more noise.

Just about anything you do (exhaust, airbox, etc) to get more power will require you to change jetting.

Just about anything you do to jetting will reduce mileage. After exhaust, open air box, and rejet, I get around 40mpg (I ride almost all dirt, but not aggressively). My bro-in-law on a BMW 650gs, with 100lbs greater net weight, gets 50-55mpg on the same trips.

Also, its yellow. Can I change it to the blue? Are all the OEM parts available?

Yes, there are five pieces of plastic on the bike (2 fenders, 2 side covers, and a headlight cover), and they are about $65 apiece... so changing plastic will set you back $325 or so. If your side covers and headlight cover are white, you only need to buy fenders, so ~$130.

But then you still have a yellow tank. An aftermarket plastic tank will run you $200-$260.

If your seat has a yellow stripe, you'll want to find a black one, or one with a blue stripe. ~$50 used on eBay.

(Besides, everyone will tell you the yellow ones are faster. In truth, the black ones are faster :D and absorb police radar :)).

You can do all of these things (and I don't mean to discourage you) but you'll start to lose one of the things you liked about it, that it was cheap.

What I like about the DR is it's a solid, reliable platform that I don't mind changing around and personalizing. But the cost adds up much quicker than anyone wants to admit.

And probably the greatest thing about the DR is that you don't HAVE to do anything to it. It's pretty good as is.

That's what my initial thoughts were.

But what about tires? I want really good grip. Big fear of loosing the front end.

if you're going to be staying on the roads and you want grip, get some regular streetbike tires like the Avon Distanzia, and if you want better MPG's DON'T mod the intake/exhaust system, (you'll like the sound so much more thet the bike will be WFO all the time(i know from experiance))

i used avon am26 roadriders, the front is skinny but works well & is lasting at over a year & 7500+ miles. the rear was finished at 4k. they both worked well in dry & wet. note these are street tires, even though i've gone off-road a couple times. try to stay with stock sizes, 90/90-21 & 120/90-17 for best handling. i'm using a promaxx 130/90 now, more common size, but slower cornering & taller than stock.

I liked the stock tires on the street and thought they handled the curves well. I think they are pretty soft and sticky, the rear barely lasted 3500 miles and I'm usually easy on tires. If the bike runs well I'd leave it stock; you're apt to get near 50 mpg or better.

Sarah

(Besides, everyone will tell you the yellow ones are faster. In truth, the black ones are faster :worthy: and absorb police radar :)).

Hummm .. i didn't know about the black plastic Radar Gimmick,but i agree about them being the Faster Ones !! :D