Sign in to follow this  

The Answer To Free Horsepower And Torque?

I wanted to throw this up in the air and see what people think. The TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) proven in the past, removal/disconnection, makes no noticeable difference in performance. It provides throttle position information to the CDI and is believed to affect ignition timing in some situations. Could the TPS and CDI be retarding ignition timing so the engine will run on 87 octane gas? Could you alter the TPS so the CDI thinks you are at WOT at all times and use 91 octane gas and achieve more horsepower and torque? I love free mods that is why they call me the Hacker. :)

You are right in what it does, but backwards in how it does it. The CDI is always as advanced as much as it can be stock, the TPS only further retards the spark, mainly for emissions reasons. Even then, as I understand it, only when the throttle is closed at high rpm., and possibly at idle. I suppose if needed, you could have the CDI always be as in 'emissions mode' if halfway decent fuel is not available. Not sure if the amount of spark retard is enough to allow a crappy fuel though.