Sign in to follow this  

Sprockets 15/48

I have a dumb question. Could running 15/48 hurt my bike. I was just thinking that running an odd number of teeth on the front and an even on the back may cause and issue. I see most 650L riders run 14/48. I don't think its going to hurt the bike because a circle is a circle but wanted another opinion.

thanks,

Irwin

No problem as long as the sprocket clears your case saver. I know with some bikes if you put on a larger front sprocket it hits the case saver, so you may need to buy a different one or modify your stock one.

A 15/48 is a ratio of 3.20 and a 14/48 is 3.43. You can use the bigger C/S but now your chain will use another link. You may have to move the rear wheel fwd which will change your wheelbase slightly.

A You may have to move the rear wheel fwd which will change your wheelbase slightly.

As long as the front sprocket clears the case, go ahead and do it. Anyone asking this question will never notice the difference in wheelbase the the above poster is mentioning. Probably less than 5% of all the people who ride could notice.