Sign in to follow this  

What's the colot of your spark plugs ?

I replaced both spark plugs on my 01 DR 650. They were both black on thread , the one more to the center of the engine had a lslightly ighter color more like a blackened brown , the other one was very dark on electrode, and insulator . It surprised me because everyone here said the DR is lean and I thought the bike was stock. This is a Euro model of course, maybe they are jetted differently.

it had a CRD pipe for a while before I got it, could it be that it was enriched for the pipe ?

I replaced them with the standard plug CR 10E NGK (they were the standard Denso kind as per the manual ). Can I just assume it's too rich and can I go ahead with removing the snorkel for more performance ? The bike runs fine otherwise with no smoke, it makes small decel pops in neutral if I wack the throttle but it's not very noticeable.

Spark plug color only reflects what was going on in the motor in the last several seconds before the plugs were removed. A typical US model DR650 will run a tad rich down low, lean in the mid-range and rich at top end. Looking at the plugs at some random time won't tell you much of anything useful.

sounds a little rich to me also.checking plug color immediately after a brisk run(highway speeds) will indicate if its running rich or lean at 3/4-full throttle. since you say bike runs well,you might try a cr9e to see if it cleans up a bit. just my 2 cents worth....