Thinking of trading my 99 rm250 for a project crf250r

here the ad http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/mcy/785552921.html

I know the guy who has it and who he bought it off of it needs the motor to be put together top and bottom end it has an 06 head but there a small chip on one of the valve seats,needs a new clutch basket and the back spokes are stretched and most likely needs a new top end it was never replaced since 05.But the goods are the supension is good no leaks comes with the el cheap-o white brother slip on nothing wrong with the cylinder and it a honda.

But I am probably gonna go with SS valves,Because Im sure this was the famous year for dropping valves? But let me know if you think it a good deal, he wants my bike (check garage) and like 400.But I figure that I could have a 05 crf250r for around 1500 bucks witch aint half bad ?

You will probably need the following to get it back running good again.

New crank/rod assembly $200

New crank bearings and seals ~$50

New piston assembly $172 (JE 13.5:1)

New 08 OEM head stuffed with OEM 08 components - valves, cam, springs, cotters, retainers, seals, spring seats, rocker, rocker pin, buckets, etc.(expensive to replace a chipped valve seat, and you probably will end up needing new guides, cheaper to get new OEM head) ~$600 for all the stuff --- If you want to repair the old head, the bad seat must get replaced, and worn guides replace and all of the seats cut - if you do not cut the seats, the new valves will not last. -- Seats on a new head are already cut and ready for new valves.

New clutch basket, probably more clutch components... $230 for hinson basket

Personally I'd stick fresh suspension fluids in, get that all fresh, who knows how many hrs on them. $30 for fluids, $20 for nitro recharge on shock

May need new tires, chain, sprockets. $160 for tires, $120 ish for chain/sprockets

New airfilter - why not with new motor. $20

Probably will end up needing a complete rear wheel, stretched spokes probably means a wrecked rim and a messed up hub. $200 on ebay

Approx total to fix - ~$1800 parts and your time

-------- If you don't mind doing what I listed, then it would be a good project bike...

You will probably need the following to get it back running good again.

New crank/rod assembly $200

New crank bearings and seals ~$50

New piston assembly $172 (JE 13.5:1)

New 08 OEM head stuffed with OEM 08 components - valves, cam, springs, cotters, retainers, seals, spring seats, rocker, rocker pin, buckets, etc.(expensive to replace a chipped valve seat, and you probably will end up needing new guides, cheaper to get new OEM head) ~$600 for all the stuff --- If you want to repair the old head, the bad seat must get replaced, and worn guides replace and all of the seats cut - if you do not cut the seats, the new valves will not last. -- Seats on a new head are already cut and ready for new valves.

New clutch basket, probably more clutch components... $230 for hinson basket

Personally I'd stick fresh suspension fluids in, get that all fresh, who knows how many hrs on them. $30 for fluids, $20 for nitro recharge on shock

May need new tires, chain, sprockets. $160 for tires, $120 ish for chain/sprockets

New airfilter - why not with new motor. $20

Probably will end up needing a complete rear wheel, stretched spokes probably means a wrecked rim and a messed up hub. $200 on ebay

Approx total to fix - ~$1800 parts and your time

-------- If you don't mind doing what I listed, then it would be a good project bike...

?:D:worthy::ride::banghead: that and labor so around like 2500 and I could get another for that even 06 n/m thanks for the write up though you just saved my some cash.