Sign in to follow this  

Dell'orto VHSB34ld, any good?

I'm running a '80/81 DR400S engine in a modern XR chassis, the bike came fitted with a VHSB34-ld flatslide carb. (which is from a 2-stroke, although the oil feed is blanked off it still has the shielded atomiser) :)

What I'm wondering is if it would be worth re-jetting this carb for the DR engine as opposed to just finding the proper item (believe it should be Mikuni VM34?)

I realise I can't get accurate info on what jets to use etc as I have no idea what spec the engine/exhaust is to (except to say 1mm oversize bore & 2" open 'zorst). All I'm after is to know if the VHSB is a reasonable carb to run on the bike before I start buying jets for something that maybe a known crock-o'-cack.

(I'm sure I need to mess with the jetting & not just replace the atomiser as it runs waaaaay rich even with the needle right down & is a swine to start when hot, not to mention the idle having to be held on the cable)

Any advice appreciated as I wouldn't mind keeping this unit if possible, the standard type looks a little fussy/complicated.

Bumpity bump.....

Oh, and if anyone in UK has a selection of Dellorto jets they don't mind thinning, let me know as I might need some of the ones you don't. (Generally Main-:130-150 & Idle-: anything below 60ish) Cheers.

The search for a replacement starts then. Mikuni VM33ss was original so I'll try and find one. (well, if Suzuki saw fit to use it as OE then it can't be too bad.)

Thanks for your input.

what are you using this bike for?

i have a 81 dr400.i put the 36mm cv cabr from a modern drz 400 on it.

works great.

That may be worth a look then. At the moment it's just being thrashed round the local fields but if I have any luck at all I'll be making it road legal eventually & using it maybe 70/30 on trails/roads to said trails.

PS I'm based in N/W England, fairly cold/damp most of the time & will likely be using a K&N cone filter (not sure of exhaust type, maybe you can tell from the pics in the DR section? It's definitely straight through...)

the drz 400 cv carbs are cheap on ebay.

made mine into to a nice motorcycle to ride.

i put them on lots of old motorcycles with great results.