Sign in to follow this  

06 YZ250F exhaust questions

I just recently purchased an 06 YZ260F. It came with a FMF 4.1 slip-on, but has the stock header. It is very loud, and I would like to tone it down alot. Many of our rides require a quiet exhaust (96-99db). After looking on the FMF website, I see that they make a "quiet insert" for it. Does anyone know what db it is when this is installed?

I also planned on purchasing the FMF Powerbomb header. I read that it also helps with exhaust flow (not that I have any) but also aids in toning down the db's.

I would really hate to purchase a complete exhaust system. Even though I have ran into some stock complete exhaust systems on ebay for less money. Also what other model YZF's exhaust systems will can be installed on my 06 without any hassles?

Any and all help would be great!

Yeah, as far as exact numbers I couldn't tell ya, but I just installed a FMF street exhaust on my streetbike, and put the quiet-core insert in it a couple days ago, DEFINITELY toned it down a bit for most of the RPM range. Still pretty loud at high RPM's though. Yeah, call them, the guys at FMF are pretty good to deal with.

I don't know the exact answers to your questions, but why not call the folks at FMF? :)

I was trying to find their number on their website yesterday so I could ask them, but was unsuccessful. I will look again today, and hopefully get through. Thanks for you help, and if I find out the details.

The powerbomb header doesn't make it much quieter at all, so if that is your only reason for buying it, don't waste the money. It does add a nice power boost however. The quiet core does quiet it down quite a bit. Make sure you have fresh packing in it also, this makes a huge difference, and I have found the factory 4.1 seems to require packing often (I have to do mine every 8 hours of riding).

As for years that are the same, 01-06 take the same powerbomb header. If you are looking at stock headers, only the 06 will fit in, the diameter at the midpipe joint was smaller on previous years. A powerbomb header can be used with the stock 06 silencer, but if you have an 01-05 it will not fit the stock silencer without an 06 exhaust gasket to make up for the size difference in the pipe.

FMF's phone number is under the contact section of their website: 310-631-4363

The powerbomb header doesn't make it much quieter at all, so if that is your only reason for buying it, don't waste the money. It does add a nice power boost however. The quiet core does quiet it down quite a bit. Make sure you have fresh packing in it also, this makes a huge difference, and I have found the factory 4.1 seems to require packing often (I have to do mine every 8 hours of riding).

As for years that are the same, 01-06 take the same powerbomb header. If you are looking at stock headers, only the 06 will fit in, the diameter at the midpipe joint was smaller on previous years. A powerbomb header can be used with the stock 06 silencer, but if you have an 01-05 it will not fit the stock silencer without an 06 exhaust gasket to make up for the size difference in the pipe.

FMF's phone number is under the contact section of their website: 310-631-4363

WHAT:eek: every 8 hours on an aluminum pipe, I have the carbon pro and have 8 hours on it right now but was planning on relpacing the packing at 15 hours. Are you using the premium fmf packing?

WHAT:eek: every 8 hours on an aluminum pipe, I have the carbon pro and have 8 hours on it right now but was planning on relpacing the packing at 15 hours. Are you using the premium fmf packing?

To make it clear, I'm an A class racer and have never gotten better than 12 hours out of packing in any pipe. That is why I said it seems to need it more often than others. If you get 20 hours out of packing normally then you will probably get 16-18 out of this pipe. It all depends on how hard you ride. Here is a nice chart that shows recommended changing time from Dr. D.

repack.jpg

I use moose cartridge packing, as I find it easier to use than most other packing. I don't find a difference in life between this and the packing that comes in the FMF pipes.

Thanks for the help.

I do not race, mainly just do alot of woods riding. So it seems to make more sense for me to find a stock exhaust on ebay.