Sign in to follow this  

kickstand issue

I haven't seen anything about this issue so that' why I put up a new thread.

I have dr650 in the stock form. I am 5'6" and about 170. the dr being tall and myself being mexican, I find it quite uncomfortable to lift my leg like a dog at a hydrant. Instead, I step on the foot peg and then lift my right leg over. I was told by someone that doing that is bad for my kickstand. that I would break it.

I have looked at the kickstand (not close). It is still there and still holding the bike up and my fat :)

should i be worried about it? yeah, I already took off the engine kill switch.

I snapped my kickstand last night while trying to start my DR/XR mongrel, you should be aware that if you choose to carry on as you are when (not if) it snaps then 1). the bike will suddenly drop on it's ear & possibly hurt you or damage anything parked next to it. & 2). The snapped ends of the stand are bloody sharp (sharp and bloody in my case! :) )

That said, the snap could be years off yet. My stand was probably the best part of 30 years old.

I have dr650 in the stock form. I am 5'6" and about 170. the dr being tall and myself being mexican, I find it quite uncomfortable to lift my leg like a dog at a hydrant. Instead, I step on the foot peg and then lift my right leg over. I was told by someone that doing that is bad for my kickstand. that I would break it.

I have looked at the kickstand (not close). It is still there and still holding the bike up and my fat :)

no, do not worry

your light as a feather anyway

i am your height, i pulled off all the seat foam and tacked on ...tracing...a foam floor mat half inch...stapled back the cover....wala!...five six...feet flat on ground...no lowering

i already have gel seat off ebay. getting my feet down isn't a problem. i cant get flat with both ft, but am comfortable with how i stand and am used to it. i should be on the pegs any way.

wouldn't really like it lowered as the skid plate takes enough abuse aready. even lowered, my flexibility is limited in my legs from the truck that rolled the stop. I would still be getting on with the stand down.

just really wanted another pinion bout standing on the stand. I also stay on the bike without feet support when i gas up lots of times.

thanks for replies. :)

I have an 06 that I picked new in November of 05. I've been mounting and dismounting the same way you described for almost three years now. I'm quite a bit heavier than you are, but I haven't noticed any ill affects. My stand is still straight, and it isn't loose at the pivot point.

Every now & then, say when you lube up the chain or clean the air filter, go ahead & inspect the frame area where it attaches & also the kickstand for any tiny cracks or splits (you may have to take a small wire brush to clean up the area first). I'd say it's unlikely that it just goes on you without showing any damage beforehand:eek:

If you have any concerns & just want to make sure it doesn't give way, take your bike to a good welding shop & they can reinforce the weld on the frame and the outer kickstand area:prof:

I hope this helps:thumbsup:

HappyRiding !!

:):D

6 foot, @255lbs, and that's how I get on. I doubt that it changes much after I get the new springs from Jesse in, unloaded, it may sit higher than it does now! even if I set a loaded sag of 4"s, what with the 8.2kg spring he specc'd! LOL!, combined with the .50kgs in front....:D

I'm 6' plus and weigh a ton in dog-weight and I board my trusty steed DR650 the very same way. The way I see it is, that's the reason the DR's kickstand is positioned so that the bike is nearly upright... to board the critter that way. I used to try this method of boarding on my KLR250 when I had something bungied to the rack (thereby limiting my leg-swing area) and it was very precarious. Most times, I'd nearly tip that little tike over. On the DR, I could do stretching exercises while standing on the left footpeg. So worry not, my Mexican comrade and continue to step lively as you board your bike. I am not Mexican, but I sure like hot sauce so we're a kin of sorts besides the motorcycling thing... hey, I am only looking out for you dude... take care and ride safe! :D

i just bought an 06 and the previous owner shortened the kickstand for just this reason. he cut some length out of it, and welded it back together.

suzuki also makes a shorter kickstand that they install after they do the factory lowering procedure. i think you can buy one.

i just wanted to clarify what i posted earlier:

my bike was stock height, PO shortened kickstand, made bike lean over some, (less upright) which made it waaay easier to mount/dismount.

i dont actually know how long the zuki shortened ks is or how much was taken out of mine.

i just got my bike lowered this weekend, and now its very upright and much harder to mount/dismount, even though the bike is lower. also difficult in uneven conditions.

I too lowered my bike but didn't want to pay for the suzuki stand & I didn't have a welder to cut & patch so I took a dremel to the stand where it hits the stop on the frame.

now even in the lowered state it leans over farther than it did stock, which was not enough already, for my money.

I took it out of the stand instead of the frame so that I could return it to stock height by just buying another stand instead of a frame.