Sign in to follow this  

newbie needs rmz250 help

hi all new to this site been looking in for a while and could really do with some advice

i have an 04 rmz 250 which is damd near impossible to start :) i have read previous threads on this subject concerning valve settings etc but before i go to the expence of changing valve/shims etc it has been mentioned about the cams turning on the sprocket can anyone tell me how i would go about checking that this is not my problem which i suspect it may be as the valve clearences are all over the place or does anyone know the degree settings for this model so i can check them using dial guage etc

hope you guys can help cos there is far to much mud around here for me not to be out tearing it up

cheers

gusset2

Check that the hole on the intake cam sprocket lines up with the small hole in the far intake lobe, those are the indexing marks on both cams,

have checked the cams all line up ok the inlet shims are within settings but for some reason the exhaust are way out gap is 0.21 bigger than it should be the guy i bought it off said the valves had been replaced even gave me the old ones bearing in mind this bike is road registered and only been used for lite green riding not raced any reason why one is ok yet the other way off::)

another symptom with this :worthy: bike:foul: is if i do try to start it it floods up the plug after a few kicks :D

any more ideas guys

Don't know why but as you stated that is way off specs so that would be your starting problem. You may be fouling the plug because of how for off the exhuast valve is...possible trapping to much exhaust before it opens. Like I said not a engine expert, but I would fix the valves and see if you still have the problem.

well have done the valves timing is spot on but still having the same problem it is trying to fire then spits back 2 or 3 kicks later the plug is soaked i heave good spark ?????????

well have done the valves timing is spot on but still having the same problem it is trying to fire then spits back 2 or 3 kicks later the plug is soaked i heave good spark ?????????

What do you mean "it spits back?" When your kicking it are you getting a feeling that the bike is kicking the kickstarter back at you? If so thats not a good sign, but could mean a few things.

One..to much compression it may just feel hard to start because if the ex valves are not opening enough you are not releasing the gases in the motor.

Two...I'm not sure on the particulars on this but...I read some place on here that if your timing is off (I know you said you checked just putting it out here anway) your bike will try to start and the magneto will actually kick the flywheel backwards causing your piston to drive upwards with excessive force. Or something like that...lol. Anyway take that with a grain of salt cause I'm no engine expert just repeating poorly what I read on another post.

i had the same problem with my 05 i cldnt start it 2 save my life so i got the valves shimmed and it still didnt work so i took it to the shop to get it fixed and i found out my camshaft chain was stuffed, they put a new one in and now it runs fine:ride:

back again

so everything is fine cam/valve wise, carb has been set up, i can go to it will fire up first/second kick will do this 2 or 3 times no problem ticks over and revs out nice and sweet but the next time i try it no joy, just fuels up the plug and backfires, if i swap the plug for a new one same again fires up a couple then the same any ideas guys ??????

Jono!! your bike is fine maybe some adjustment is needed, use the hot start and kick hard at all the way to the foot peg give it a nice twist on the throttle dont be scared my bike start better with hott start all the time and with gas off especcially when its hott, ill kick it 2 3 times gas off turn it back on and kick 1 2 3 more time and shes back, right after a stall the bike start 3rd kick usually somtimes first if i get itgood, i thought somethign was wrong with my bike, but ended up nothing. The backfire is it loading up and it wanting to start but not a good kick, but i would still just spend the $ in your case to make sure the cams are good. Bobs your uncle haha