Sign in to follow this  

04 CRF150 Newb. Need some help / info

Just got a 04 CRF 150 for 750 bucks. Excellent condidtion, but smokes a lot. Freaked the other owner out and he sold it cheap. I have worked on 2 and 4 strokes before so I did not think it was a big deal. Maybe some piston rings, valves, or a seal.. but I am coming here for more info. The bike still rides strong (compression is good), but smokes like crazy out the exhaust. I checked the valves and they are super tight, no clearance! Could that be causing the smoking?

Now the real CFR 150 Newb question... (kind of embarrasing). I removed the engine cover for the magneto and it was full of oil, to my surprise!! I never worked on a 4 stroke that had oil flow to both sides of the engine. Is this right? Also are there any seals that might be a problem with the oil going up the timing chain and being blown out the exhaust?

I put some oil in it for a test drive and it burns it really fast, but the bike runs good.

The oil has to be getting sucked out of the crank and blown out the exhaust somehow.

Any help or info would really be appreciated.

I believe that there shouldn't be oil in the magnito area. That area needs to stay clean or any liquids or dust. I believe you have a problem there. Also when does it smoke? Like when your deaccelerating?

Thanks for the replys. Been away on holiday so haven't been on line. I thought the oil in the magneto was a problem. And it's not a little, it flows freely from the other side of the engine. Hopefully it is a seal or something and not a problem with the case. Are you aware if there are seals that might fail that would cause this problem?

i was looking at a crf 150 and the seller said that he was riding it and it just cut off it lost compresion he said it was the timing chain but idk does any1 have an answer for me