Sign in to follow this  

Any Advice for 1st time HS Racer?

Hey this weekend im riding in a Hare scramble for the first time. Ive been practicing alot and im very familiar with the type of terrain the course will be on. Does anyone have any first timer advice or information to help a bit?

Im also nervous because its my first time racing period. ive been riding for about 4 years and ive become a decently aggressive trail rider. What should i expect in the beginner class for competitors?

drink lotsa water

concentrate on being smooth instead of fast. It'll payoff in teh end

hydration pack (Camelbak)

get sleep

eat carbs the night before

eat breakfast

drink lotsa water

move over when the fast guys come around to lap you

look ahead NOT down at your front wheel.

did I mention drinking water?

You'll be nervous at the start. Don't put pressure on yourself to start fast - just ride comfortable, even when everyone else is roaring off ahead. You see more crashes in the first 5 minutes of a HS... if you take it easy, you won't be one of those crashers.

Pull over for any motorcycle that comes up on you from behind whether they are lapping you or not.

Thank anyone who pulls over for you.

If you crash anywhere, your first responsibility is to get you and your machine clear of the trail, then you can work on re-joining the race.

Pace yourself.

If traffic stacks up at an obstacle, you have two choices: Take a break and rehydrate, or find another (legal) route. Do not blame others for your delay.

A hare scramble is an endurance race. Try to ride smooth for the whole race rather than wear yourself out in the first half hour.

Watch ahead on the trail and try to anticipate log jams and bottle necks. You can quickly lose a lot of time (and energy) if you are doing fine climbing a hill but are right behind someone that doesn't make it and there is no where to go. Keep your eyes open for alternative lines and escape routes if needed.

Most of all, have fun!

Ya... Take two Advils a few minutes before the start of the race.

It will take the edge off of any pain at the 1 hour mark.

I start sipping on a bottle of cold Pedialite the morning of the race and try to have it all gone by the start. Save something for the last 1/2 hour of the race. Don't go full blast at first. It would suck to burn out early. Better to finish your first race at the back of the pack than to drop out. Get ready to have a lot of fun!

Barry H

- Stay hydrated.

- Don't try to race everybody at the start...it's a long race, just chill out.

- Look for alternate lines always. There is almost always a way around a bottleneck if you don't ride right into it.

- Put baby powder in your gloves.

- Keep enough energy in reserve that you can turn it up a notch towards the end when everybody else is worn out.

- Have fun!

drink your lots of water the couple of days before the race, then keep topped off in the morning and during--then you won't slosh (or have to pee:D) Dumping a lot of water quick into my system makes me feel sluggy and seasick--the slow build up is better. You need water in your muscles to have them work at peak capacity. And take an emergency snickers bar(or some such with sugar, fat and protein) if you start to bonk--don't tough it out getting tired, put some gas back in your tank!

(not that I've done a harescramble--YET, but that's when I go on riding trips and try to pack in as much riding as I can find people to ride with, after I've run my husband into the ground :))

And be sure to tell us how it went!

And make sure your tire pressure is right for conditions.

Awesome thanks for the information guys sounds like im in for a grueling race the temperature is supposed to be around 30-37 Celsius (record breaking weather here) im definitely gonna wear my water pack i usually save it for long trail days but this definitely qualifies as one

I will post how it went even if i make the headlines for slowest rider haha

You gotta be smooth, thats the second best piece of advice youll get. If you are smooth and consistent, you will have juice left when almost everyone else is in survival mode.

The most important tip is to drink water, not just the day of the race, start like 5 days before. If your racing this weekend then thats obviously not gonna work but for future referance. Your gonna be racing again, once you race your hooked.

Also, something I did was ride up a guys ass. Give the guy ahead of you a good amount of room cause when he gos down hes gonna take you out most likey, its happened to me and it really, really sucks. Just let him know your there and keep a safe distance. The reverse of this is if someone is up your ass just find a place that works for YOU then pull over, but still dont stay in front of him too long cause thats also EXTREMELY annoying.

Just have fun:thumbsup: Your getting into a wonderful part of our sport so enjoy it:ride:

- Stay hydrated.

- Don't try to race everybody at the start...it's a long race, just chill out.

- Look for alternate lines always. There is almost always a way around a bottleneck if you don't ride right into it.

- Put baby powder in your gloves.

- Keep enough energy in reserve that you can turn it up a notch towards the end when everybody else is worn out.

- Have fun!

:) Good words of advice.

drink your lots of water the couple of days before the race, then keep topped off in the morning and during--then you won't slosh (or have to pee:D) Dumping a lot of water quick into my system makes me feel sluggy and seasick--the slow build up is better. You need water in your muscles to have them work at peak capacity. And take an emergency snickers bar(or some such with sugar, fat and protein) if you start to bonk--don't tough it out getting tired, put some gas back in your tank!

(not that I've done a harescramble--YET, but that's when I go on riding trips and try to pack in as much riding as I can find people to ride with, after I've run my husband into the ground :))

And be sure to tell us how it went!

And make sure your tire pressure is right for conditions.

+1

Start hydrating a few days earlier! Eat a banana or two and start taking Magnesium / Calcium supplements. This is supposed to help with cramps, etc.

Enjoy the experience of being part of the "event"

Make finishing your top goal.

Remember you can't win the race the first lap, you can only lose it. This is hard to remember sometimes if adrenaline gets flowing. Make it a goal to not worry about speed the first lap.

Like others have said...if someone comes up behind you, they are faster. Save yourself the stress and let them by as soon as safely possible.

Sometimes it's fun to get hooked up with another guy or two mid-way thru the race and just "pace" off of them if they are riding smoothly and at a pace about yours.

OH YEA.....buy a cheap digital clock for car interiors (like at Wal-Mart for $5). I velcro it to my bar pad. I set it for 11:58 and hit "start" when the row 2 in front of me takes off. So..it is basically showing 12:00 when my class leaves. This way you can kinda calculate how many laps you will go (we run 2 hours here). So if i make my first lap at 35:10, I know i will probably go 4 laps. Also....it will help you when you realize on the start of the race that you have only been racing for 9 minutes !!!! Relax until at least the 30 minute mark.

For Sand is it better to run higher or lower pressure in the front and rear respectively? :)

lower.

If you dont have a hydration pack, get one. Your life will suck without it.:D

I think people go over board on the hydration, I don't drink any more than usual i just take my camelback. You can over hydrate which is bad for your kidnees and can possibly kill you but, that is an extreme of course. Also if you have that much water in your system you will have to stop to pee every 15 minutes. Since it's your first race just focus on finishing and you will do fine, if you ride to fast in the beginning you may not have enough energy to finish. As someone already said if you see a bottle neck comming look for a way around before you get there because once your in the bottle neck your usually stuck there untill traffic starts moving.

dont stress ab the start of the race.....and practice ur dead engine starts:ride: