Sign in to follow this  

Can you lower a KTM SX 65?

Hi new poster here, I did not see my ? answered anywhere but if it has previously let me know.

Id like to get the KTM 65 for my 9 yr old but hes about 2 inches too short. I have seen in previous posts that the rm 65 and the kx 65 can be lowered using a lowering link.

I have not seen a similar way to do this on the ktm. Besides shaving the seat is there any way to lower the bike?

I know they sell a lowering linkage for the rm & kx 65, but they are not recomended if you are going to do any jumping. My son was 2 inches too short for his 65, I just shaved the seat and taught him to push his bike to a spot where he could get his left leg up higher to get some leverage to start the bike. Once they are rolling along the height thing is moot. I tippy toe on my 450, he might as well get used to that now.

thats true but the problem is that if he has to stop for any reason, i would think he will fall over, if shaving the seat will lower it an 1 or 2 i think he will be ok

you cant lower a sx65 with links they dont have any like a kx65:prof:

but it is possible to make a sx65 lower then a kx65,

the swingarm mounted shock allows for this on the sx,

pro action will make a custom rear shock with a shorter length then stock this will lower the bike a bunch, next you can buy a different bend of handlebar like msr high mini's i found work great, that allow you to move the forks higher up in the triple clamps, (make sure you check for clearence on the front tire to fender on full compression) and also as said above cutting the seat foam is a great idea.

overall it is possible to make a ktm 65 1" or so shorter then a lowered kx65

other then a rebuilt rear shock you could just buy a was softer or shorter rear spring which will help a little, you can also buy low profile tires like the pirellis are lower then the michelins etc.

You can get the rear shock rebuilt (reshimmed) to lower the sx65. However, I would just let him ride it stock. He will adapt.

thanks so much guys for the advise, think Im ready to go pick it up!