Sign in to follow this  

3x3 and JD Jetted....hanging idle

I've searched as hard as I could, but haven't found my answer......my Deezer was running mint bone stock, but I decided to tinker with the carb and 3x3. Installed the JD kit as per, blue needle 3rd clip from top, 155 main, 25 pilot, extended fuel screw 2.5 turns out. Stock exhaust, brand new Twin Air filter.

The problem is a hanging idle for lack of a better term....Since the jetting, when you close the throttle completely, the idle seems to "hang" a few hundred RPM above idle for a few seconds, and then it idles back down. I turned the idle screw back and forth a few times, and while it'll immediately change the idle, the next time you close the throttle, it will "hang."

Not the throttle cables (I checked). Throttle fully closes, and the bike runs perfect everywhere else...no stumbles, misses, bogging anywhere in the rev range, with plenty of power.

Thoughts? And thanks for any help!

22,5 pilotjet with extended fuelscrew 2.75 turns out. 25 pilotjet with stock fuelscrew 2,75 turns out.

sorry but a noobie qn, how do u do the 3x3 mod ? am really interested!

and also which JD kit did u use for the DRZ SM ?

sorry but a noobie qn, how do u do the 3x3 mod ? am really interested!

and also which JD kit did u use for the DRZ SM ?

For the 3x3, you just cut a 3" by 3" (7.62 cm x 7.62 cm) opening in the top of the airbox where the snorkel is now. There are several ways to do it, w/ the easiest being to take a 3" putty knife, heat it w/ a propane torch, and push it through the airbox 4 times forming a 3" square opening. Or you can use a utility knife and a straight edge, scoring the airbox repeatedly until it goes completely through. There's no need to remove the airbox from the bike. Just lay the electronics box out of the way, and carefully go to it. If there are any shavings that fall into the airbox, make sure you clean them out (don't want them to end up in your engine). It's not too difficult, just try to make it neat like so:

3x3.jpg

The James Dean jet kit for the DRZ400SM is part # JDS005 on this page:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_jdjetting_jetkit.htm

And the Kientech extended fuel screw for the Mikuni:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_kientech_drzsfms.htm

That will provide you w/ everything you need for the rejet.

For the 3x3, you just cut a 3" by 3" (7.62 cm x 7.62 cm) opening in the top of the airbox where the snorkel is now. There are several ways to do it, w/ the easiest being to take a 3" putty knife, heat it w/ a propane torch, and push it through the airbox 4 times forming a 3" square opening. Or you can use a utility knife and a straight edge, scoring the airbox repeatedly until it goes completely through. There's no need to remove the airbox from the bike. Just lay the electronics box out of the way, and carefully go to it. If there are any shavings that fall into the airbox, make sure you clean them out (don't want them to end up in your engine). It's not too difficult, just try to make it neat like so:

3x3.jpg

The James Dean jet kit for the DRZ400SM is part # JDS005 on this page:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_jdjetting_jetkit.htm

And the Kientech extended fuel screw for the Mikuni:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_kientech_drzsfms.htm

That will provide you w/ everything you need for the rejet.

thanks alot mate.

you been wonderful~

turn the idle down.

This guy, once again, is on the money.....really turned the idle down ( a bit too far at first, then a hair back up) and it's been dead-nuts since.

:) Thank you Eddie (and all you other guys too!)