Most quiet aftermarket WR exhaust?

I'm interested in picking up an aftermarket exhaust for my WR. I know it's not a big hp gain or weight loss, but it all adds up. I don't want a loud exhaust though. I wanted to hear from guys who have installed FMF Q4s, Yosh, or Leo Vince exhausts to get an idea of the noise level. Did the instructions indicate the decibel level? (My Akrapovic pipes on my VStrom come with that info). FMF say "Max decibel rating is 96db. Most models below 93db." I don't want it if it's 96db. If it's below 93 I'm interested. Also, does the FMF Powerbomb header reduce or deepen the noise level?

I'm leaning towards leaving it stock, unless I can find a pipe that's quiet enough. Probably none of us like open-piped Harleys, so I don't want to contribute to noise pollution from bikes.

I got a Q4 because, as far as I could tell, it's the quietest possible*. Strangely enough, it seems louder when wearing earplugs. It also seems louder riding it than it does observing another person ride it.

Removing the spark arrestor screen makes it louder. But again, I think it was the earplug sensation.

Thank you very much for keeping it quiet!

* Except, perhaps, for that big Devil Euro-enduro system.

You can get the Q4 and fab your turndown spout to it,

the turn down makes any pipe way quiter, I have had to do this on many filming occasions for Mountain bike coverage etc......

IMO a loud pipe is a must, there are enough idiots in thier cars and jay walking that if I can increase their awareness that Im coming thats what I do, loud is safer in my book.......

IMO a loud pipe is a must, there are enough idiots in thier cars and jay walking that if I can increase their awareness that Im coming thats what I do, loud is safer in my book.......

You don't really think they're going to hear you with their Ipod cranked up and earphones in, while text messaging on their cell phone, do you?

On the streets, noise is "just" an image issue - they aren't going to ban registered motor vehicles off public roads. Out in the dirt, however, excessive noise is one of the commonest reasons for closing an area to bikes.

So... the quieter my bike is, the happier I am going to be.

I'm interested in picking up an aftermarket exhaust for my WR. I know it's not a big hp gain or weight loss, but it all adds up. I don't want a loud exhaust though. I wanted to hear from guys who have installed FMF Q4s, Yosh, or Leo Vince exhausts to get an idea of the noise level. Did the instructions indicate the decibel level? (My Akrapovic pipes on my VStrom come with that info). FMF say "Max decibel rating is 96db. Most models below 93db." I don't want it if it's 96db. If it's below 93 I'm interested. Also, does the FMF Powerbomb header reduce or deepen the noise level?

I'm leaning towards leaving it stock, unless I can find a pipe that's quiet enough. Probably none of us like open-piped Harleys, so I don't want to contribute to noise pollution from bikes.

The Leo Vince slip on comes with a 94db insert and SA. I have no first hand knowledge of these but looks good on paper!

X3 ENDURO ALUMINUM

Yamaha WR250R

CC: 250

Year: 2008

Type: Slip-On

Part#: 3688

Includes 94dB Insert

You can get the Q4 and fab your turndown spout to it,

the turn down makes any pipe way quiter, I have had to do this on many filming occasions for Mountain bike coverage etc......

Not really. More than half of motorcyclist deaths in multi-vehicle crashes (when it's the car driver's fault) are caused by the guy turning left in front of you who doesn't see the bike. Your shitty rat pipe doesn't help in that instance. It probably helps with the guys who lane change without shoulder checking. So does staying out of their blind spot, or tapping the brake if someone moves over.

All loud pipes save is egos because people think strangers give a shit. How many times have you heard a 50hp Harley with open pipes tear away from the lights, and leave everyone deaf and cursing motorcycles. Plus, mine is an R model. Then you get into trail access issues with loud pipes.

I like the turndown spout idea though. That's a good one. Thanks.

Dont get me wrong I dont like the open harley's (mine is no where near that loud), and I dont think the loud exhaust is going to be a revelation in the way of saftey, but I have noticed in my neighborhood that kids and cats and dogs get the heck out of the street when they hear me coming (why they are in the street, I dont know)

And Yes I already have made the turn down for my off road preservation, I understand all your points, just justifying that Im not one of "those" loud abnocious people, ?

loud pipes do save lives. I know. Some dude was in my blind-spot and I would have squashed him like a bug with my 3500 dually if I did not hear him in time.

But you are much more likely to be hit by a car turning left in front of you according to the Hurt report. Everything you do from skill, gear to vigilance is important and adds to your ability to survive. Dress for the fall.