Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Broken Fib with X-ray

Recommended Posts

Dr. Mark, sorry for the low quality image. Its an actual film that I had to scan. I have to make the decision for surgery or not by this afternoon. This happened on Saturday and the bone has shifted which is why he even brought up surgery versus just casting it. Just curious to know your thoughts

2119571860036727308S600x600Q85.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for this you don't need high quality images, but nothing will display

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, not sure why that didn't work...I think if you click on it you should be able to see a larger version if needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks...thats pretty much what I figured, but its good to hear it from someone else thats qualified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the Doc was originally 50/50 on surgery or cast but between tone of voice and talking I felt like surgery was the route so I called back to schedule surgery and the Doc finally called me back and goes "well, the more I've been looking at it I think its more a 60/40 and I'm not sure the risks of surgery will outweigh the benefits. I think it'll heal pretty well, anatomically, on its own, The little bit more that we'd get out of it via surgery may not be worth screws in the Fibula, which usually have to come out in 6mos to a year, not to mention the (whatever) Nerve that runs along there that could cause tingling and numbness and the (blah blah) tendons that would get irritated"

:):D:worthy::ride::banghead: :banghead:

Nothing feels better than having a doctor that a) lets you chose if you want surgery or not, versus just picking a course of action and going :banghead: a wishy-washy answer from the doctor. I think I'm going to see if I can get in anywhere tomorrow for a 2nd opinion locally (no offense Dr. Mark, your opinion differing from his has made me want another...best 2 out of 3 right?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a 50-50 chance that this will stay in the correct position. It it does stay in place, you don't or didn't need the surgery.

If its not the case, you are either looking at a complex operation to repair the damage, or getting arthritis.

If the plate is put on now, you will have a normal ankle in six weeks. If you don't you are throwing the dice.

So you just have do decide, if you feel lucky or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There is a 50-50 chance that this will stay in the correct position. It it does stay in place, you don't or didn't need the surgery.

If its not the case, you are either looking at a complex operation to repair the damage, or getting arthritis.

If the plate is put on now, you will have a normal ankle in six weeks. If you don't you are throwing the dice.

So you just have do decide, if you feel lucky or not.

If I were lucky I don't think I'd be in this position in the first place :)

Should I really tell my Doc I want surgery and thats my choice, or should I go for another opinion and follow through with the treatment with that 2nd Doc if they agree to surgery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I would tell my doc that I wanted to have it fixed.

Ok, thank you for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P.S> Is it really a big deal for the plate or screws to have to be removed in 6-12 months? I realize it means cutting you open again but he's making it sound like its a huge downfall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my hands, at least, installation as well as the removal of the plate is a nonissue.

I look at this problem with a "rest of your life" perpective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get the surgery. Its not bad. Your leg will feel better after because its not moving around. I've been through it twice. Once with Dr. Mark. Best of luck! 6 weeks sounds great! Ideally you should just fly to Texas and have Dr. Mark fix it. No BS and you get results.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414923&highlight=broken+tib%2Ffib is my story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go see Dr Mark if you want it done right and not ever have to worry about it again...The good doc did my Clavicle in february...ABSOLUTELY the best decision I ever made after seeing 4 wishy washy docs here locally....did not cost me that much more to fly there...Hospital picked up travel costs and flight

Go to H'Town.......:):D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, let me clear something up that I mixed up earlier...the first Dr. I saw was a podiatrist (Foot & Ankle doc) and I went for a second opinion yesterday to an orthopedic surgery specialist and he felt that the bone has not interfered with the ankle joint, that the gap in the joint is still equal the whole way around and in his experience since I'm young and want it to heal properly I'm more likely to keep off it for 3 weeks versus a stubborn old person who wouldn't give it enough time to heal on its own.

So, he put a new cast on me yesterday because the one from the day before was already moving around too much because the swelling has gone down so much.

I've chose to just cast it, no surgery. Doc thinks a cast for 3-4 weeks then the walking cast/boot thing so I can have support but start working on range of motion again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...