Sign in to follow this  

Slow jet/Daves mods

I'm getting ready to do Dave's mods on the XRL. So far, I've de-smogged, and when I do daves mods, I was planning on de-snorkeling and adding a uni filter. So I called the local shop today. They've got the 158 main jet I'm looking for, but the largest they go (at that store anyway!) on the pilot jet is a 50. The parts guy said the highest he can even order is a 50.

Deterred, I'm going to look online to see if I can come up with one. I'm kinda bummed, because I was looking forward to doing all this this weekend and riding next week. :)

My question is this. If I keep the stock pilot jet, and rejet the main to 158, what kind of issues am I looking at? Are there drivability issues with jetting that lean, or would I also be looking at engine damage? I understand that the pilot jet is mostly used at low throttle settings, so where would I see the most of the impact here?

I'm not looking to half-ass this, but if I can at least do the mods and get the main jet in without making a huge mess of things, will it not be the end of the world until i can get my hands on a 55 pilot jet and install that later? I appreciate your help guys!

The guy at the parts store is a fool. Keihin makes pilot jets sizes all the way from 35 up to 80 that will fit the 650L. Can you get him to order it if you if you give an exact part number?

The Keihin P/N for a 650L pilot is N424-26___. Just fill in the blank with the three-digit jet size. 050 = 50, 055 = 55, etc, so your 55 pilot would be an N424-26055.

http://www.keihin-us.com/list.htm

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=616750&highlight=jet+part+number

If you leave the stock pilot in after uncorking, the bike will run badly in the lower throttle areas and will probably run extremely hot during cruise. The bike is too lean from the factory; uncorking without jetting is much worse.

Carbparts.com you can order from them.

this is the part number for Kehin, add the size of the jet you want to the end of the part number below.... If I wanted a 55 it would read N424-26-055

N424-26-0

you can also call them and tell them what bike you have.

Also the only time your on the maine jet is at 3/4 to WIDE OPEN. most of the time when your crusin around your using the piolt jet circut. I would hesitate from running it with a desnorkel, and a uni. with out a piolt jet change.