Sign in to follow this  

rebound adjuster assembly (cartridge forks)

this stuff is asked frequently, so why not make a thread everybody can refer to:

1. screw the lock nut (red) by hand onto the cartridge rod until it stopps. Then - only on KYB forks - turn the rebound clicker at the rebound adjuster assembly (green) all the way out (counterclockwise).

2. screw the rebound adjuster assembly all the way onto the cartridge rod until it stopps. There must be a gap between the adjuster and the lock nut - then hold the lock nut with a wrench and tighten the rebound adjuster assembly.

Note:

If the rebound clicker is turned all the way in then the rebound adjuster stopps at the rebound rod (blue - see pic 3), not at the cartridge rod! Be sure the clicker is at least half way out!

Note:

If you don't screw the lock nut onto the cartridge rod until it stopps there is a chance the rebound adjuster stopps at the lock nut (see pic 4), not at the cartridge rod! Then your fork leg will become longer and your rebound clicker will not work properly.

clicker.jpg

• Like 1

you want to make this a sticky, you need a mod to do that.

you want to make this a sticky, you need a mod to do that.

could you explain :)

While you are at it "kawamaha" you might as well make mention of the "shock shaft/clevis procedure"(same thing as the forks). Some peeps remove the clevis to replace a bumper and then up with a compression only adjustable shock!!:)

Actually, I did it once ..many many years ago before tapered stacks,safety seats and radiators for that matter.

It was about the same time I was waiting for the school bus...................................................................to be made!

It was about the same time I was waiting for the school bus...................................................................to be made!

must have been the time i repaired the shock piston band with a teflon band and filled the shock with hydraulic oil - damn, but it was better to ride with that than not to ride :)

So with the later model Showa 47's, can you just screw on the rebound adjuster assembly? Mine clicked as I was threading it down.

yes, while on KYB's the thread is located in the rebound adjuster on Showas it's near the mid valve. thats why Showas needs a "D-shaped" rod. you can turn seperated Showa clicker units until you get arm pump. when you turn the rebound adjuster assembly onto the rod you first turn the rebound rod until it stopps, then the clicker will turn and make this "clicking" noise