Sign in to follow this  

CRF250R bottom end seizure?

Hello all!

I'm new on this forum, I'm 16 years old and from Dublin, Ireland. I have a 2004 CRF250R and after my 3rd time riding it the bottom end seized. I have all replacement parts ordered so there's no need to worry about how it happened and all that..

Has this happened to anyone else?

How regularly should I change my oil and what brand do you recommend? I don't race and I don't do trails. I just drive around fields but when I get a trailer I'll be bringing it to the track..

Thanks!

Welcome :)

I now know how much to change my oil after a scare like that.

I would say change your oil once every tank of gas. That's a good way to measure.

Otherwise, buy an hourmeter and change your oil once every 1-2 hours.

I only use Pro Honda GN4 in my bike for both sides, but alot of people have luck with Shell Rotella 15w-40. It's SUPER cheap, like $7 or $8 per gallon. Instead of paying $7 a quart for GN4. I have like 7 unused gallons of that Rotella but I'm not motivated to use it.

Rotella +1

Use it in all my stuff. Got rid of the knocks in my 91 S10. CRF250 has it in both engine, and tranny side. Good stuff.

Shell Rotella T 15w40 for engine/trans side. Great oil. If you can't find that, any good 15w40 diesel oil is good.

Oil should be changed after every ride / one tank of gas/ 1 to 2 hrs. Oil filter every 10 hrs.

You should be able to get 120+ hrs out of a bottom end if you maintain your bike good -- also depends on how hard you ride it. I think a safe change interval is somewhere in the mid hundred hours. (140-160).

Every 1-2 hours it totally excessive. Change it around 5-6 hours. The main thing with oil is contamination, if you ride the bike 10 hours a year, than yeah you might have issues with 5 hour change interval. But 10 hours a month is totally fine for 5 hour intervals.

Let the bike warm up for a minute before blasting off. I see way too many people fly off after there bike was started 3 seconds earlier. There are too many bearings to spin and scrape when the engine is cold and the clearances haven't tightened yet.

I have seen what oil looks like after 2.5 hrs of trail riding for me, it will not last longer without consequences... And what it looks like after 1.4 hrs of moto for me. Or 1.6 hrs of trail and .6 hrs moto - it does not look good. Needs to be changed. That is why I do it after every ride.

And if you do ride your bike hard, consider yourself lucky if you get 150+ hrs out of a crank. Keep micing the small end to make sure it hasn't got too big every time you have it torn down for piston inspection/re ring/replacement. And the side to side movement of it - direct indication of big end bearing wear.

And yes it is important to let your bike warm up before riding it, 3 minutes is usually good. Once a bit of heat gets into the rads you can give it some gas for a fast idle to help it warm up faster.

Hello all!

I'm new on this forum, I'm 16 years old and from Dublin, Ireland. I have a 2004 CRF250R and after my 3rd time riding it the bottom end seized. I have all replacement parts ordered so there's no need to worry about how it happened and all that..

Has this happened to anyone else?

How regularly should I change my oil and what brand do you recommend? I don't race and I don't do trails. I just drive around fields but when I get a trailer I'll be bringing it to the track..

Thanks!

Yes my mate had it happen to his '07crf250 at the end of it's 1st season. He would have serviced it every 3 or 4 hrs regular. Ive just sold my '05crf250 and i changed oil/filter religiously at 2 hrs and the engine never gave me a button of trouble in the 3 1/2 seasons i raced it. I did rebuild the engine last christmas as preventative maintenance though. Did you ask the guy you bought it off if he ever had the engine overhauled just out of interest?

Im from N Ireland and used Motul 5100 oil in engine and gearbox. You are bound to have dealers in Dublin like CCM or someone who probably sell that type of oil or similar. Failin that any good brand oil like castrol, silkolene putolene etc will do and just service regular. I maybe overkilled the service intervals, maybe you could change at 5hrs and it won't work out too expensive for you. Where did you buy the bike by the way? Was it a dealer? Did you approach them about helping out with the repair bill?

What exactly failed? The rod bearing? What parts are you having to replace?

Thanks all, I'm not worried about fixing it at all, or asking the previous owner to help paying for it. I have a part time job and nothing to spend my money on other than bikes so I really don't mind..

Yeah, I've dealt with CCM when I had my YZ125 but I think I'll ask my local motor factors to order me in that Rotella oil mentioned above..

Thanks again!

Thanks all, I'm not worried about fixing it at all, or asking the previous owner to help paying for it. I have a part time job and nothing to spend my money on other than bikes so I really don't mind..

Yeah, I've dealt with CCM when I had my YZ125 but I think I'll ask my local motor factors to order me in that Rotella oil mentioned above..

Thanks again!

the best oil to use over here in the UK is PUTOLINE !! full stop

GP10 Gearbox

Offroad 4+ In engine

Buy oil filters of ebay. can get 4 for £10... shops sell them for £4.95 each

Thanks again!

Id be worried and annoyed if a bike id bought had a major failure 3 ride in. But i guess thats the minefield that is 2nd hand 4 strokes. You never know the hours on the engine or the maintenance done by the previous owner. Id be surprised if the motor factors can get that rotella oil. I have a suspicion its used mostly in america and won't be a readily avaiable in this part of europe

I have an 04 too. It completely cratered after having it for about 15-20 hours. I rebuilt the the engine with the 06 head and put in new valves and springs and a Hinson clutch package. The stock clutch basket is very soft and it will notch out very easily. With good regular maintenace and the 06 head you should get a buttload of great hours on your 04. Goodluck with your rebuild and if you can do the 06 head update do it,its really not that much more if you are doing a top and bottom end anyways. Dont forget to check on that clutch basket too. :)

I think it's really hard to wear oil out in 1 hour. Yeah I could turn the oil close to black that quick in the clutch side, but it still retains all of its lubricating properties. Heres what I've been doing for 18 months without a single engine part breaking:

Engine oil: 5 hours

Transmission oil: 10 hours

Oil filter 15 hours