02' 400 EXC OIL CHANGE- HOW OFTEN

I know this can be a heated topic especially after reading the oil & filter posts but I have to get some input. I change my oil and filter every 5 rides or 300 miles max (300 KLX). What do riders of tight trail, usually 50 miles per ride with an average speed of 16 to 19 mph for the day recommend for my friend with his newer 400 EXC. Katoom 312 input requested.

Happy Holidays guys. If the 12" of snow doesn't go any lower we are going out for a Christmas Day Grinch ride. At least the traffic on the road should be better.

Burnrider,

You're correct on the debate that is sure to ensue here.

My take on oil changes:

Change the oil as frequently as you think it needs to be done. I feel guilty if I don't change it after 6 rides! ?. I personally change the oil after about 5 rides on average and I'm sure that is on the conservative side when I see how good the oil looks when I drain it. My typical ride is 50-60 miles of trail, similar to what you described for your typical ride. I don't flog the beast by any means. I've got over 3,600 miles on the stock DID chain and 13/52 sprockets.

I change the filters every 3rd oil change and I clean the long and short screens every oil change. I haven't had any issues with my bike that weren't caused by rider error! :D

I believe it is more important that you use a good quality semi-synthetic, or full synthetic, oil after break-in and keep up the good maintenance practices, i.e. oil changes, air filter changes, valve adjustments, etc. This will ensure that you have a minimum of difficulties with your bike.

That is my opinion, and I'm sure you'll hear other's opinions too.

Good Luck,

Jeff

I change the oil after every race (enduro, HS, dez, whatever you ride) and the filters about every other time. I am absolutely brutal on the transmission, frequently shifting without the clutch in the heat of battle, jamming up and down throughout the range of gears. So any debris from that sort of activity (I've never found any to speak of) needs to be cleaned out with the oil. That way the fresh stuff is there to lube the piston and related power parts. If I'm just trailriding, I'm much easier on the bike and will change the oil after three or four sessions. Oil is relatively cheap compared to the aggravation of down-time for repairs.

The "how often" question on oil changes has been kicked around quite a bit here in the past. Coming from an XR4, I was hesitant to get the KTM because I assumed the maintenance requirements would be a hassle. Reality has not been nearly as bad. I typically change oil every 300-350 miles (about 5-6 rides) and filters every other oil change. That may be less frequent than many others, but I don't race or put huge amounts of stress on the engine/clutch. Oil always looks fresh and I never have any metal particles in the filter screens. I have ridden 450+ miles in Baja without and oil change with no trouble.