Sign in to follow this  

molybdenum disulfide oil/grease . . . where to buy?

Got my cylinder back from being honed, and had my powervalve parts cleaned of carbon. I washed everything in warm soap and water and now I'm ready to re-assemble my top end. So I'm looking in my manual and it recommends that I use molybdenum disulfide oil on the powervalve parts during re-assembly. What is this stuff ?? I Googled it and came up with nothing but obscure references relating to this stuff being a component of some oils. But nowhere did I find where I could buy a tube of it at any kind of retail location. Is is called by another name, or is their a suitable substitute?

Look under assembly lube for an automotive use. Part stores have it. Autozone, etc. Not the copper stuff. Good moly lube is very black and dirty.

It is sort of expensive for good stuff. Try to find something 60% or higher. Lots of greases include a tiny amount, but not enough to do much.

http://www.nextag.com/moly-paste/search-html

Honda car dealers sold some very good stuff at one point as CV joint lube. I believe it was 70% and priced accordingly.

This stuff is the best ever. Check out the price!

http://www.ellsworth.com/display/productdetail.html?productid=410&Tab=vendors

The XR250 repair manual actually says what they mean by this oil, on one of the first pages (the one that describes the Symbols used in the manual). Quoting these symbols:

Mo (oil): Use molybdenum oil solution (mixture of the engine oil and molybdenum grease in a ration 1:1)

M (grease): Use molybdenum disulphide grease (containing more than 3% molybdenum disulphide, NLGI #2 or equivalent).

Example: Molykote BR-2 plus manufactured by Dow Corning, USA

Example: Multi-purpose M-2 manufactured by Mitsubishi Oil Japan

To sum it up, get a molybdenum disulphide grease (Molykote BR-2 plus, for example) and mix it with the engine oil you use at 1:1 ratio. There's also a honda moly assembly paste (honda moly 60), part number 08734-0001, but it's another thing (mentioned in the manual as molybdenum disulphide paste, >40% moly content)