Sign in to follow this  

Always Wear A Full Face Helmet!

So I'm riding down a one way street in the right lane just minding my business going the speed limie (25mph) and out of nowhere (no signal or indication) the guy to my left makes a right across my lane. I slam the brakes and the rear end comes up, smacking the chin part of my helmet on his roof and the bars slam into his right rear quarter panel. I fly off the bike, it lands on me in the middle of the street and the guy gets out and says "what happened!?" I yelled at him a lot, the ambulance comes and checks me out. All I had were a few scrapes on my left hand and my right knee and my right elbow is a little bruised. The full face helmet saved my face. I wouldn't have teeth right now and I'd probably have a broken jaw. I've included a few pics of the car afterward. My bike is pretty much fine. The bars are a little bent but I was gonna put a set of renthals on it anyway and the cycra handguards did their job. There are a few scrapes on the plastics and the left footpeg is dented in but thats about it. I was lucky.

2763443958_99ee75991f.jpg

2763447148_59e35b396b.jpg

2763458814_0d15385cec.jpg

The cop that showed up didn't write the other guy a ticket, ether. I told him that made me angry and that I could have been killed but it didn't seem to change his mind. I didn't see a written accident report either so I'm worried that there's going to be an insurance dispute or something if the other guy doesn't admit fault. I don't want to have to pay for this when I didn't do anything wrong. What a pain in the ass.

But seriously, if you don't have a full face helmet I recommend you get one. It saved my face.

That's a perfect arguement for NEVER loitering in someone's blind spot, or beside a vehicle. Either get by him and move on, or fall back. NEVER ride beside another vehicle. Fundamental lesson taught in any good MSF course. Glad you're ok. Don't let them get you next time.

What is there to pay for... the ambulance?

that plus, a new helmet once its been whacked its internal integrity is suspect also any other damage ie his bars, plastics etc.

Im not an ambulance chaser or even the least bit litigous (im just about the polar opposite) but if a dilhole came that close to killing me you can bet his insco should pay to restore my bike to its condition before the accident.

Get a lawyer. Sue him before he sues you to pay for the damages to his car. Don't trust your insurance company to do what's best for you--they'd rather pay the guy $60,000 (and jack up your rates) just to stay out of court.
That's a perfect arguement for NEVER loitering in someone's blind spot, or beside a vehicle. Either get by him and move on, or fall back. NEVER ride beside another vehicle. Fundamental lesson taught in any good MSF course. Glad you're ok. Don't let them get you next time.

all of the above, x 1000. Sue him so he will tell his friends OPEN YOUR F'N EYES

that plus, a new helmet once its been whacked its internal integrity is suspect also any other damage ie his bars, plastics etc.

Im not an ambulance chaser or even the least bit litigous (im just about the polar opposite) but if a dilhole came that close to killing me you can bet his insco should pay to restore my bike to its condition before the accident.

you had pain, loss and damage of property, and humiliation from the police who dont think your life is worth S$$#$%. SUE him or suffer the wrath of your fellow riders. And ask the Officer in Charge why the police officer who responded didnt issue a ticket to the ahole who hit you. That officer is totally neglectful.

I would of insisted on an accident report. I'd go to the police dept., ask for a copy of it. When it is not produced, I'd ask to speak to the watch commander, explian what happened, property damage, physical injury and so on. If that fails, talk to the local prosecutor. If they are unwilling to help, mention the media. I would also insist on the driver being ticketed.

Last thing you want to happen is the A-hole to sue or it turn out you have injuries that require expensive care, let alone repairs to the bike.

This all assumes the road was a marked multi lane road, the driver was in the left lane and turned. If it was just a wide street, well, then you have nothing.

I would have insisted on a report also. You need to protect yourself from potential complications. I'd report the responding officer, also.

I guess I've just been trained by the no-fault auto states... I'd suck it up and be happy to be alive. The bike doesn't reallly need any repairs, you seemed to make it out ok. You learned a lesson, he has a dented car.

Getting lawyers involved just makes lawyers rich.

you had pain, loss and damage of property, and humiliation from the police who dont think your life is worth S$$#$%. SUE him or suffer the wrath of your fellow riders. And ask the Officer in Charge why the police officer who responded didnt issue a ticket to the ahole who hit you. That officer is totally neglectful.

:) cmon try to be an adult about it he said he wasnt hurt beyond some scrapes the last thing we need is another donkey lawyer collecting 66% of a blown out of proportion settlement.

if the insco doesnt restore his property then fine get a lawyer but to sue just to sue Im sorry I cant support it:bonk:

what we dont know as William pointed out is some details ie are there 2 marked lanes ? if no then theres probably not much the OP can say unless the car passed him and then turned into his lane which isnt how he said it happened

I can't believe the people on here that are so quick to get a lawyer. I wasn't hurt. I could have been but I wasn't. All i want is to have my property restored to previous condition and a little money for my trouble. If it had been a tree I hit in the woods then thats my fault and I deserve it but this is different.

There are no painted lines but there are signs designating that there are multiple lanes. There are no painted lines due to it being a historic district with a cobblestone street. The officer told me at the scene "yeah a lot of people don't realize that this is a two lane road" so I'm hoping that will satisfy the insurance companies although not counting on it.

To the guy who said "don't ride beside people": I was passing him. He turned erratically at the last minute.

Everybody else that wants to post about lawyers and stuff can take it to another thread. I'm not a liar and I'm not going to blow it out of proportion. Doing all that isn't worth the hassle to me. I just want enough money to pay for my damages and my "suffering" though it was a small amount. I dont need a million dollars. Don't you idiots know that when somebody gets a huge settlement like that it affects EVERYONES rates? You think that 23 year old kid pays a million dollars a year for insurance?

All I'm saying is wear a good helmet and giving you an example of why.

No, it prevents you from getting ****ed over.

Now I'm ****ed because I can't get insurance from anyone else with a $60,000 settlement on my record--

Trust me, if I'm ever in an accident again--I don't care how minor--I'm suing the **** out of everyone in sight. "Principles" are for people with money to waste.

OK, so you got sued, and it screwed you over... so your revenge is now to sue the next guy so he gets screwed over.

Clear as mud.

Also, I have witnesses that can back me up. They're friends of mine that just happened to be walking down the street and saw the whole thing. Now of course I could be getting them to lie and yadda yadda yadda but at least I have somebody that I can trust to talk to the insurance companies or whatever that is essentially a 3rd party observer that wasn't in either vehicle.

That's a perfect argument for NEVER loitering in someones blind spot, or beside a vehicle. Either get by him and move on, or fall back. NEVER ride beside another vehicle. Fundamental lesson taught in any good MSF course. Glad you're OK. Don't let them get you next time.

YES SIR.....ALWAYS HAVE A WAY OUT!!!!Glad your not hurt.

Also, in NY a PO usually WILL NOT issue a Summons UNLESS he has witnessed the accident/infraction or there are other witnesses NOT INCLUDING the parties involved, who can attest to what they observed. The issuing of the ticket is BS, it is whats stipulated in the Accident Report that matters. If there is something in the accident report you do not agree with or is inaccurate, you can request that the narrative be modified.

:) cmon try to be an adult about it he said he wasnt hurt beyond some scrapes the last thing we need is another donkey lawyer collecting 66% of a blown out of proportion settlement.

if the insco doesnt restore his property then fine get a lawyer but to sue just to sue Im sorry I cant support it:bonk:

what we dont know as William pointed out is some details ie are there 2 marked lanes ? if no then theres probably not much the OP can say unless the car passed him and then turned into his lane which isnt how he said it happened

dont sue just to sue, SUE TO DETER THIS DRIVER FROM NAPPING WHILE DRIVING. Just like the police would write you a ticket if you were speeding. TO DETER YOU FROM SPEEDING. The reason the justice system exists is so that you are represented. Since the officer wrote no ticket, looks like you need to be the deterrent. This is not a frivolous lawsuit, believe me, I know what those smell like. I cant believe someone would consider this ambulance chasing. You guys probably wanted Jankow set free too. Oh, dont know who Jankow is?

To the guy who said "don't ride beside people": I was passing him. He turned erratically at the last minute.

The guy in the car was probably not paying attention but if you were passing him on the right side you may be at fault.

The guy in the car was probably not paying attention but if you were passing him on the right side you may be at fault.

That does complicate things a little. The wording in the accident report is going to be important.

Glad you came out pretty much ok. I've been a beleiver in FF helmets for years and have trashed the chin bars on more than one.

I'm curious as to what part of VA this happened in. I've been hearing more and more reports of auto/MC collisions without a ticket being issued. I'm wondering if there has been a change in police department policy.