Sign in to follow this  

Seized engine on DR650?

After rebuilding my 1992 DR from the frame up two weeks ago, I seized the engine on my second ride. I had plenty of oil, but I was experimenting with the jetting on a 3in. K&N filter that I had rigged to run on an adapter without an airbox. I think I was running it a little too lean and little too fast, but either way the piston is entirely stuck. My first clue should have been the ungodly noise coming out of the exhaust, but I chalked up to stuffing a few more plates in the ole' Supertrapp. (It made great power until it blew up). The thing that gets me is that I just dumped close to 800$ into a bike that blue-books for lke 1200$. I don't really want to spend another 500$ for the big bore kit and 200$ for machining if there is another option. Does anyone have any sugestions for how I do a slight overbore or just re-sleave? Thanks-

After rebuilding my 1992 DR from the frame up two weeks ago, I seized the engine on my second ride. I had plenty of oil, but I was experimenting with the jetting on a 3in. K&N filter that I had rigged to run on an adapter without an airbox. I think I was running it a little too lean and little too fast, but either way the piston is entirely stuck. My first clue should have been the ungodly noise coming out of the exhaust, but I chalked up to stuffing a few more plates in the ole' Supertrapp. (It made great power until it blew up). The thing that gets me is that I just dumped close to 800$ into a bike that blue-books for lke 1200$. I don't really want to spend another 500$ for the big bore kit and 200$ for machining if there is another option. Does anyone have any sugestions for how I do a slight overbore or just re-sleave? Thanks-

you gotta' break the damn thing in BEFORE playing with modifications:eek:

(see my signature line if you don't understand)

that aside, what-to-do......what-to-do..........well, until you open her up, you don't really know the damage.

maybe it's just a piston-to-sidewall that might be honed clean & usable again. we used to sieze 2-strokes & a little light buffing might have taken care of the problem.........maybe it'll need only a bore job & larger piston/ring combo too, but you gotta' look before freaking:foul:

maybe it's more seroius, so grab some light & a big mug of iced tea & start to take it apart once again.....why waste all that time you just spent for nothing?

HappyRiding !!

:):D

Famous last words...

It made great power until it blew up

Is that an iron/steel bore, not Nikasil? How much you can bore it depends on how badly you damaged the barrel and the availability of pistons. Also, if you heated it up that badly, you need to see if you've warped the barrel. If the barrel is not round anymore or the mating surfaces are not flat, you may not be able to re-use it anyway. Take the barrel to someone who can measure the bore and check for the damage mentioned. Then start looking for an appropriately sized piston, if such is available.

Exactamundo..... gotta see the damage before you can plan repairs. Time to start bustin' her down.

Hope you checked piston-cyl clearance. I rebuilt a T120 once and took the machine shop's word on piston-cyl clearance and it siezed on first ride.