Sign in to follow this  

Right size bike?

I am 37 yrs old, about 5'7" and 130-135 lbs.....kind of a smaller dude.I currently ride an MZ 500 Country enduro but am looking for a straight dirt bike also. Just looking mainly for something to mess around on and hit some trails and jumps. I would say my dirt riding skill is about intermediate. So, I've been trying to decide if a KX 100 would be too small for me and or not enough power.....i'd definitely go with a 125 size but i'm short and want to be able to reach the ground with my feet and think 125 frame and seat height would be too big/tall. Would the KX 100 be to small for me or could i get some good fun out of one....I want to be able to control the bike rather than just hanging on. Would it be easy to mod a 100 out for more power? Was also thinking about KDX 200/220 also but think it may be heavy/big for me. Any advice appreciated........By the way, the seat on my 500 just alows me to touch my tiptoes and wouldn't want it any higher....

I am 37 yrs old, about 5'7" and 130-135 lbs.....kind of a smaller dude.I currently ride an MZ 500 Country enduro but am looking for a straight dirt bike also. Just looking mainly for something to mess around on and hit some trails and jumps. I would say my dirt riding skill is about intermediate. So, I've been trying to decide if a KX 100 would be too small for me and or not enough power.....i'd definitely go with a 125 size but i'm short and want to be able to reach the ground with my feet and think 125 frame and seat height would be too big/tall. Would the KX 100 be to small for me or could i get some good fun out of one....I want to be able to control the bike rather than just hanging on. Would it be easy to mod a 100 out for more power? Was also thinking about KDX 200/220 also but think it may be heavy/big for me. Any advice appreciated........By the way, the seat on my 500 just alows me to touch my tiptoes and wouldn't want it any higher....

the kx100 is light and nimble beast, it is not underpowered at all, and if it does start to feel that way you can always put a 105 or 112 kit on it,

plus ive seen mods of 125 carbs etc. i would say for your size and how light you are a kx100 will fly! many parts off the kx85 fit the kx100 so if you get one and need parts search for kx85 also (ebay etc.)

i would really like to see a kx100 with a 125 or 144 in it someday.

You can get a lowering kit on a 125... or just leave it stock. If you leave it stock, you'll be able to touch the ground if you lean the bike over a bit. I'm 5'8'' 135 and I can touch both feet on my toes. The other day, I let a 13 year old try to ride my bike, he's maybe 5'5'' and he could touch the ground if he leaned it just a bit. He could kick start it himself too. I'd give it a shot.

The KX 100 will make a much better trail bike for you than the 125. dirt rider did a KX 100 they put a larger tank on,fly wheel weight and had the suspension resprung and valved for enduro riding along with other stuff.

I was your size! no! I was shorter when I was 19 and rode a KX 80.

thanx for the advice....I guess my best bet may be to just ride a 125 and 100 and see which one i feel better on.....

thanx for the advice....I guess my best bet may be to just ride a 125 and 100 and see which one i feel better on.....

you got it! :)

Either will work for you. The 125 has bigger wheels whch are an advantage in sand and rough terrain. My boy is 15 and about your dimensions and is looking now to move from CR85 big wheel (same size as KX100) on to 125 and that will be a good step forward for him.

id say the kdx, i would thing the 100 may be just a tad small, have you sat on either? im 5'11 ish and the kdx was a little cramped for me

hey nikitino-I'm w/kdxgarage.GET a KDX,no older than a '97.should pick one up for around $800-1100 FULLY DECKED OUT and set up w/all the basic mods.IT WILL BE THE VERY BEST MONEY you have ever spent.I've been riding for 40 years and am5'8@165 w/o riding gear on and the my "97 KDX200 still scares me from time to time.You can mod the hell out of them and mine is but still-you can't go wrong w/GREEN.

treelimb

NE Alabama-like no other

I'm 5'8" and ride a KX250. I also have a KX100 for my wife. When I putt around on the KX100, I feel very uncomfortable with the smaller size frame. Of course, I'm used to the full sized bike. To deal with my short inseam, I just cut the seat foam down on the KX250, took off about 2" in the middle of the seat where the foam is thickest, that took care of the problem and the seat height is very comfortable now. If you are going to ride in any kind of challenging terrain, I think you'll be much happier with the bigger bike.

I'm 5'6 and rode a KDX250 for a while and recently bought a KX125. Neither of these would be to tall for you. I can touch the ground on both sides of the bike, just not flat footed.

When I rode my son's KX100 it felt small and cramped.

Just my $0.02, would would be better off with the 125 or the KDX.

👍:worthy::busted:

Hey treelimb or anyone else.....if i look at a kdx 200/220 why should i go for a '97 or newer....did bike change significantly in '97? Also, what's the main differences between a kdx 200 and a kx 125 besides engine size.....seems i heard that the kdx requires less maintenance....are these bikes roughly the same size and height and is the kdx set up more for trails or something; engine set up for more low end tourque? what does the "D" in KDX refer to?

Hey treelimb or anyone else.....if i look at a kdx 200/220 why should i go for a '97 or newer....did bike change significantly in '97? Also, what's the main differences between a kdx 200 and a kx 125 besides engine size.....seems i heard that the kdx requires less maintenance....are these bikes roughly the same size and height and is the kdx set up more for trails or something; engine set up for more low end tourque? what does the "D" in KDX refer to?

I think,notice I typed I,that you should buy the '97 or newer because most every part is the same all the way up to the last year of production for the United States,about 2006 or so.Also,KDX's can be modded all to hell and back.EASILY and rather inexpensively. KDX's are almost bullet-proof.I am typing about the KDX200,the only one i have exoerience with. To the best of my knowledge,the differences between a KX125 and a KDX200 are as follows:

-LIGHTS-KDX's are equipped for lights.KX are not.could be a factor.It is for me.

-KDX's are set up for the trails suspension and gearing wise but I race mine in old school mx's and am competitive.you can set it up much more than a KX for overall riding IMHO and race both mx and hare scrambles/enduros;the KDX220 has the low end torque comparitively speaking from what I have read

-the frame-beefier on KDX

-the engine complete w/chromoly or similair/something like that,cylinder that makes it bullet proof.Ring and piston it once a year,at least my experience,and i ride mine about 100 miles aweek more often than not but i maintain it as in the airfilter,gear oil,etc.and the regular routine items as listed in manual plus use top notch premix

-the forks:USD on KX regular on KDX

-not sure on frame size and all.

I can declare w/almost certainty,that you will not outgrow the KDX200.You can get in on the KDX200 scene inexpensively yet be just as competitive as the urnge bikes,rider skill inclusive @1/3 the cost,IMHO. Let us know which way you go and best of luck regardless. I appreciate you asking.

treelimb

NE Alabama-like no other

ps-KDXGARAGE and EBECK know more than me concerning all that.Probably all other posters know more than me-I just post about my experiences.I own a 1987 KDX200 and the 1997 KDX200.The '87 still HITS hard and it is an air cooled antique.Also i am no mechanic,but do get by OK wrenching on the KDX's.

thanx for the info.........i'm generally not to familiar with two stroke bikes having mainly had 4 strokes in the past such as a Yamaha TW200 and now the 500 cc Rotax engined MZ Country........so, from what i gather, the kx 125 engine is maybe more highly strung for racing applications than a kdx 200 engine which is why it would probably require more maintenance.....is this an accurate assumption? Also, what are USD forks.....does USD stand for upside down?....are the shocks better/longer travel on the kx125? Was also wondering how much heavier the kdx would be.....will try to get some same year specs for both bikes, thanx....

from what i can tell, the kdx 200 is about 30 lbs heavier than kx 125 and lower seat height by about an inch.....

The KDX200 received a near complete redesign with the 1995 model.

The KDX220R was released in 1997. It is VERY similar to the KDX200, except for a larger engine bore (198cc vs. 216cc), different engine porting and smaller carburetor to enhance the low - mid RPM performance of the engine, and a o-ring chain and wider rear chain guide to allow for the o-ring chain. All other parts are the same, essentially.

The last year for the KDX200 in the USA was 2006. The last year for the KDX220R was 2005. Very few updates were made from 1995 - 2006. When shopping, focus on condition, not year model.

USD forks are indeed UpSide Down forks.

A motocross bike has a high performnace engine. High performance = high maintenance. A KDX engine is less performance and less maintenenace than a KX engine.

The KDX will have a more laid-back, controllable style of power delivery compared to a motocross bike.

According to Dirt Bike magazine, a stock KDX200/220R is around 233 pounds with an empty fuel tank. A KX125 is around 211 and a KX250 is around 225, depending on which year.

The KDX seat height is one inch or so lower than a motocross bike.

A KDX will have suspension set up for trail riding. A MX bike will have suspension set up for MX.

With the information you have given, I would suggest a KDX before a MX bike.