Sign in to follow this  

Rattling noise at part throttle

I have an XR650R and when I am cruising the bike makes a rattling sound (kinda like noisy valves, maybe pinging?). It is totally throttle dependent though. If I give it just a hair more throttle, or a little less, the noise goes away. Cruising at about 60mph+ I have throttle open enough I don't have the noise but below that it is present. It's not RPM dependent either. My guess would be lean...so I richened up the fuel screw a quarter turn but it didn't make a difference (that I could tell). It does seem louder as the bike warms up. The noise is matched with RPM otherwise I would have guessed it was the chain slapping around.

If it helps:

exhaust baffle cut out (screen still in place)

uni filter, no back screen (has aluminum frame in the filter)

stock exhaust

desmogged rubber carb boot

removed air pump

175 main

68s pilot

1.5-1.75 turns out fuel screw

B53e needle, middle clip (3 from top)

the last time a problem like this came up here it was a loose skid plate bolt...:D check all fasteners, chain tension, etc...to eliminate those, then try to narrow it down to a specific location and go from there...

:)

Pinging is possible, my Pig didnt like 87 octain, and i would get a little pinging in 5th gear, when trying to accelerate at a low RPM. I run 93 in it and the Pig is much happier:applause:

3 things you could try....

if you think its valves, check the valves

Try running premium gas unless you are already

And check the plug to see if your running lean

The first two post:thumbsup: But also check the drive chain condition,or watch it when it makes said noise.

When I was running the stock exhaust with the drilled out tip, I could hear a "rattling" noise out of the exhaust. After installing an aftermarket exhaust, the noise was gone. I wonder if there is a little resonance in the stock drilled out can that could come across as pinging etc.