Sign in to follow this  

pilot screw adjustment DRZ400E

Okay ya'll, I've been BUSTED........:D

The SMOG COPS here in Maricopa County put the big RED X

right on my forehead for FAILING the Smog Sniff Test :worthy:

eddie told me how to lean it out in order to pass, but my question is:

How do I get under the carb to turn that damn pilot screw????

The bike is over at my son's house way.....waay.....waaay across town so

I cannot see it directly. I have looked in the book & there doesn't appear to

be any screw extender....and I know from looking under there before, the bike

was not equipped with any extender.

So....I guess that I need to buy an extender so I can easily manipulate my

fuel so I stay within the Arizona/EPA approved polution controlled range???:)

How easy is this to mount??.....do I have to pull the carb off the bike to get it mounted?

Is one fuel screw better than the others.....what's the recommendation?

Yep, it sure was easier when I worked on & modified my S-Bike,

but with this E....there's hardly any room down there to

even fit the tiny fingers of those Japanese Engineers:eek:

Thank you in advance:thumbsup:

HappyRiding !!

:ride :ride

Yep, you'll have to remove the carb. Tough the first time, but it gets much easier from then on. You'll have to carefully drill out and remove the brass cap over the fuel screw if it's still present. Thread a screw into the drill hole just enough to get hold of it and pull the brass plug out. I also had to remove the float bowl and drill out the casting in the bowl before I was able to get the fuel screw in and out once everything was buttoned back up - casting wasn't exactly lined up.

I know what you mean about not enough room to get fingers down there. I extended my stock fuel screw using brass tubing, solder, and made a very small T handle for it (actually, I doubled the T into a cross so I could manipulate the darn thing a little easier). I still have to use just the tips of my fingers to get it turned.

There is a fuel screw of choice. I'm sure someone will chime in and tell you which one, as I'm having a senior moment and can't remember it at the moment.:)

At the moment, the fuel screw of choice is the one from Merge Racing, next in line is the Kientech. Both are available from the TT store. After them comes the Kouba. Be sure to emphatically tell whomever it is for a FCR.

You will probably have to slightly pull the carb to swap as space is a premium. Leave the throttle cables attached, airboot attached, pull from the manifold and you should be able to swap the stocker for the extended.

Yep, you'll have to remove the carb. Tough the first time, but it gets much easier from then on. You'll have to carefully drill out and remove the brass cap over the fuel screw if it's still present. Thread a screw into the drill hole just enough to get hold of it and pull the brass plug out. I also had to remove the float bowl and drill out the casting in the bowl before I was able to get the fuel screw in and out once everything was buttoned back up - casting wasn't exactly lined up.

I know what you mean about not enough room to get fingers down there. I extended my stock fuel screw using brass tubing, solder, and made a very small T handle for it (actually, I doubled the T into a cross so I could manipulate the darn thing a little easier). I still have to use just the tips of my fingers to get it turned.

There is a fuel screw of choice. I'm sure someone will chime in and tell you which one, as I'm having a senior moment and can't remember it at the moment.:worthy:

At the moment, the fuel screw of choice is the one from Merge Racing, next in line is the Kientech. Both are available from the TT store. After them comes the Kouba. Be sure to emphatically tell whomever it is for a FCR.

You will probably have to slightly pull the carb to swap as space is a premium. Leave the throttle cables attached, airboot attached, pull from the manifold and you should be able to swap the stocker for the extended.

thanks for the great advice Red & William.......I'll put an order together for a few other things AND the Fuel Screw too soon.

HappyRiding !!

:):D