Sign in to follow this  

Engine Vibration.. not the normal ones

I posted this in the 450x forum, and got one reply.

I have a 450x that has developed a really bad engine vibration. It is rpm related, and pretty severe. A ride on my friend's 450x confirmed it is not normal.

This is a vibration in the whole bike, felt through the pegs and bars, it is not skid plate noise, chain noise, or any other crf450 odity.

So far the only thoughts are cam chain? Too loose would cause problems, or to tight? I'm out of ideas.. everything else internal that I can think of would fail outright, not cause a vibration.

thanks for your help,

Joe

I would think that if the cam chain was loose enough to cause a vibration, you'd hear it. It would be clacking so bad you'd shut the motor off right away.

Do you notice it when sitting still and idling, or only when riding, or both?

Cam bearing?

I bet it's either a rod bearing or your counterbalancer bearings.

If its that RPM related its going to be attached to the crank somehow. If youre not engine savy, have it looked at. If you are...

Drain the oil, look through it and the oil filter too. Cut the oil filter up and read the folds for debris.

Im betting you find nasty's in both the oil and filter and the vibs are coming fron a main bearing thats taken its own life.

I am very engine savy, if it burns fuel, I've pulled it apart.... and in most cases put it back together :)

I will double check this filter, but every other one I open up, and always look at the oil. I change the oil every 2 rides religiously.

I guess that leaves me with some exploring to do... not looking forward!

It sounds like a bearing going south. When bearings fail they tend cause vibration at a particular rpm.

• Like 1

I am very engine savy, if it burns fuel, I've pulled it apart.... and in most cases put it back together :)

I will double check this filter, but every other one I open up, and always look at the oil. I change the oil every 2 rides religiously.

I guess that leaves me with some exploring to do... not looking forward!

For the cost of the gaskets, Id pull some covers and maybe the head too. Maybe if you catch it early enough, you can save some money on parts.

• Like 1