Sign in to follow this  

Drum Brake Squealin'

Replaced the worn-out shoes on the rear of my 1985 XR350R, and now they squeal like mad under normal use. Under hard pressure, they don't make any noise. I know from the automotive world that squealin' brakes is usually related to dust, but these brakes did it the very first time that they were replaced. The drum was cleaned up with brake cleaner, and there were no grooves. So what's a fella to do? The replacement shoes were slotted to avoid excess heat and allow for extra ventilation, and I would assume that they would blow out brake dust better, too.

Opinions/Comments/Derrogotory remarks?

are the leading edges of shoes beveled? if not, try filing a slight bevel on leading edge of shoes.

If the shoe beveling trick doesn't work check the drum for wear. Was it turned? Shoes can cause drum wear, leaving a lip at the edge, where the shoe does NOT contact the drum. Please post the fix when you find it! :)

shoes came pre-beveled, and no, I didn't mic the drum. The bike has seen such little use, I didn't think that was necessary. I did give the drum a good look-over, but I still don't think its worn.

What about a glazed drum? Super smooth, glass like finish? The drum should be roughed up with sandpaper to increase the friction. I've used a grinder and 3M cookies to rough up drums before although the sandpaper does work.

What about a glazed drum? Super smooth, glass like finish? The drum should be roughed up with sandpaper to increase the friction. I've used a grinder and 3M cookies to rough up drums before although the sandpaper does work.

+1

or use emery cloth of around a 180 grit to get the glaze off the drum.

I thought about that, but figured it was the shoes that became glazed. I know that the drum isn't super smooth, but I'll try to rough it up a little when I do a sprocket/chain replacement next week. Thanks for the insight.

I'm having the same problem. I hate coming up to stop signs squealing. I just put new OEM rear drum brakes in my XT and I cleaned and de-glazed. Still squealing. This rear drum works more than adequate for this bike, but the damn sqealing...

Anybody have any tips? If not I may have to look around elsewhere!

What U think about this?

DRUM BRAKE NOISE

One of the leading causes of brake squeal in drum brakes is poor contact between the shoes and drum. Heel and toe contact between the shoe and drum is often the culprit, and the cure is to either replace the shoes with new ones or to resurface the drum slightly to increase its inside diameter. New shoes are ground with a slight eccentric to compensate for drum wear.

This moves the point of contact away from the ends of the shoes toward the middle. In the old days, mechanics used to arc shoes to match their shape to the drum. But, with the concerns about asbestos, shoe grinding is pretty much a thing of the past (although some say it will make a comeback as more and more new cars switch to non-asbestos linings on their drum brakes).

Why not go to an auto parts store and try treating the pads with the same anti-sqeal stuff used on cars?

Wow! I didn't realize that my post was left unanswered for so long!

I had to buy another set of shoes for the rear end (long story), and for whatever reason, these don't squeal. This set came from some no-name place off Ebay, whereas the ones that squealed were from Honda. Go figure. Sorry that I couldn't be of anymore help.

the honda ones where probably a harder friction material than the ebay ones. hard ones do stop better but squeal more on lighter braking. deal with this all the time at work on hyway trucks.