Sign in to follow this  

pro taper pillow top grips, help

my best friend rides a atv, yamaha raptor 660, and he got new pro taper bars for it (7/8") and they included some pro taper pillow top grips. he gave them to me, but will they fit my drz? and if so (don't think i'm stupid, i'm just new) how do i change them? do i have to take the whole throttle tube off? is it hard to do?

sorry for all the questions, i just heard that those grips are really comfortable and i often get some pretty bad hand pain after riding off-road for long periods of time. and hey, they're free.

Dirt bike grips = yes, quad grips = no. Quad grips have the same 7/8 inside diameter hole since there is no twist grip on a quad. :)

Dirt bike grips = yes, quad grips = no. Quad grips have the same 7/8 inside diameter hole since there is no twist grip on a quad. :)

Ooh, didn't think about that!

yeah, that make a lot of sense.

so what is the correct way to change grips on a bike.

For the clutch side, just take a utility knife and score the grip along the length of it and peel it off. Takes a minute or so to complete. For the throttle side on a DRZ, the grip is on the throttle tube pretty much permanently, so you can either buy a new throttle tube (about 8 bucks from Wheeling Cycle), or shave and grind and fool around getting the oem grip removed. I chose the former. Then you just install the new grips of your choice. You'll have to push/twist pretty hard to get the throttle side grip on. The glue will help to lubricate it, but it's still a good bit more difficult than the cluch side, which just slides right on. I think my throttle tube has some raised sections on it that I had to shave down a bit to get it on. They are there to keep the grip safely on, but they were a bit too large for the soft grips I was installing.

For the clutch side, just take a utility knife and score the grip along the length of it and peel it off. Takes a minute or so to complete. For the throttle side on a DRZ, the grip is on the throttle tube pretty much permanently, so you can either buy a new throttle tube (about 8 bucks from Wheeling Cycle), or shave and grind and fool around getting the oem grip removed. I chose the former. Then you just install the new grips of your choice. You'll have to push/twist pretty hard to get the throttle side grip on. The glue will help to lubricate it, but it's still a good bit more difficult than the cluch side, which just slides right on. I think my throttle tube has some raised sections on it that I had to shave down a bit to get it on. They are there to keep the grip safely on, but they were a bit too large for the soft grips I was installing.

thanks, that is extremely helpful!!

You're welcome :). You may want to clean the clutch side bar where the grip goes, and the throttle tube w/ some contact cleaner to make sure it's clean and the glue adheres properly. And make sure they are in the postion you want them in before you let them dry. I'm using Pro Taper dual density grips. They are very tacky.

http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/ktmstore/2008_protaper/dualdensitygrips.jpg

I use an air compresor to get new grips on. Use an atachment that simply blows air when you pull the trigger. And on the inside of the grip stick the air nosel right there. It essentially blows the grip up a tiny bit and allows it to slide right on. Works great, and won't do anything to your grip. Learned it from a custom bike builder (pedal Bikes)

I use an air compresor to get new grips on. Use an atachment that simply blows air when you pull the trigger. And on the inside of the grip stick the air nosel right there. It essentially blows the grip up a tiny bit and allows it to slide right on. Works great, and won't do anything to your grip. Learned it from a custom bike builder (pedal Bikes)

that's an great idea, i never would've thought of that.

well you can do it the old school way:busted: grab a can of wd-40 or hairspray and give a little spray to the inside of the grip. it slides right on and if you don't use too much it eats the rubber a bit on the inside which in turn sticks it to the bar...i'd suggest twisting 2 to 3 twists of safety wire around each grip as well to secure the grips for good. the best part-next time you change your grips you dont have grips that are hard as hell to get off. 👍