Sign in to follow this  

hot start question

I read a post a while back about some idling issues. Turns out it was his hot start no seated all the way down. I was just looking at my manual and i didnt see where it talks about adjusting it...just removing it. My question is, do I turn it clockwise at the carb to make sure its all the way down or counter clockwise? I'd assume its clockwise...also, should I just remove it completely at the carb instead to make sure that is my problem? thanks.

To get at the hot start you gotta remove your subframe and pull back the carb... I would take it right out and grease the hot start plunger. Then stick it back in. Its just a plastic nut holding it on --you can get nice aftermarket aluminum ones.

You can't adjust it at the carb. You can adjust it on the cable, but you may want to take it out and clean it up and lube it with something before puting it back in. The peice in side the carb is brass and the carb is aluminum and the two metals corrod each other and cause it to stick.

sounds good, what would be ok to use as a lube?

also, how do I know if it is seated properly?

thanks

Once you take it off and clean it, it will move in and out easily. You can use grease, but that may attract too much dirt, I used a sylicone spray on mine.

I had to sylicone spray my becuase it wasn't releasing properly. Its not a hard thing to do at all. Lube the cable as well for good measure. I did mine by just taking the tank and the seat off and just twisted the carb a bit.

I had to sylicone spray my becuase it wasn't releasing properly. Its not a hard thing to do at all. Lube the cable as well for good measure. I did mine by just taking the tank and the seat off and just twisted the carb a bit.

thats what I want to do, but not sure how to tell if its seated correctly....so I should just take it out anyways clean it and put it back in and hope that fixes the idle problem? thanks

The peice in side the carb is brass and the carb is aluminum and the two metals corrod each other and cause it to stick
Every removable part inside an aluminum carb is brass (except the floats) because brass and aluminum are compatible with one another and do not corrode on contact. What does happen is the hot-start cable gets moisture inside and the wire inside the cable rusts, then the wire sticks or breaks.

Also, debris may be carried into the hot-start chamber of the carb if you merely force lube down the inside of the hot-start cable. The cable and plunger should be removed to properly clean and lube the cable.

ok, took it out, cleaned it, lubed it all up(not too much) and put back together...no difference. BIke still wont idle properly. I tried to pull the bowl off the bottom of the carb and got 3 screws out and of course the 4th is stripped....so I cant check my jetting. Should I just drill it out and find another at the store that will fit?

i would drain the bowl and the tank and get some new gas in there....and check the valves, that can be a problem too....my bike wont idle either

i would drain the bowl and the tank and get some new gas in there....and check the valves, that can be a problem too....my bike wont idle either

I know its not the gas, I already drained the tank yesterday to pull out the fuel filter and have put fresh 94 octane gas in today. I just checked the valves and the intakes are ok, but the exh are very tight at .005, I think this is why it wont idle