Sign in to follow this  

Let's talk about sponsorships

Hi everyone,

I am sure a lot of us Pee Wee parents are starting to think about sponsors. Let's get this rollin and start out with some sound knowledge from those of you with sponsors

What did you do to get a sponsor?

How did you make a resume? Like a job?

What websites have you used to promote your rider?

When fielding sponsorship offers, what terms are one to expect? 10% - 50%? Free swag?

How many sponsorships should you take on?

Did you approach local businesses, if so, which ones?

Did you make custom graphics or use sponsor stickers?

Look forward to your answers

Dave

If you sign up on this site it will answer every question i've been a member for 3 years now and i've had over 10 sponsors on there. Here it is www.sponsorhouse.com and its free! If you get a good sponsor they'll mail a hat and shirt to you and magazines every month,but about the parts all i've ever got was 40% off and its good to fill out a application to vortex because they let you resign and it doesnt take off your sponsors! Its the only site I know of that is free to get sponsors on and its the best all the others you have to pay like 60 bucks for one sponsor and you get like 10% off there products and they dont even send you anything in the mail so i would def. go sign up on here!

try to get a local shop. Let them know you race and try to buy stuff from them exclusively (sp.). I have found this to work well.

What did you do to get a sponsor?

I have been using the same MC store (wright's MC parts in SLC) for over 15 yrs, so when my son got his first bike I went to them on everything parts, fluids etc, let them know my son was riding at the age of 4 etc. Then at 5 when he started racing I let them know he was racing, and I said " LET MY SON SPONSOR YOU" give me some stickers and let my son sponsor you guys, because you have always been great to me. so they gave us stickers etc. i would come in and tell them how he was doing, he would come with and give everyone hugs, and they have become like family to us now. They in turn gave us more stickers Now i run there stickers on my cars bikes trailers. They have since hooked us up with a (Tucker Rocky) MSR, and Pro Taper Sponsorships. Since then we have added holeshot fabrication ( custom metal welding (frames etc) by a simple internet email asking for support,

right now we are also looking at 2 different sponsors between klotz and amsoil do to nothing but sending in race results and not asking for anything, and i also cant forget Pro Circuit- which is not a sponsor yet but i buy everything from them like triple clamps covers water pumps etc, plus i send them my motors etc. so they know who i am, i have built a relationship with them, when my son proves himself to them they will ask us to be a pro circuit rider-hopefully-

How did you make a resume? Like a job?

Ii did ours deferent, its more like a

BIO with race results and stories, i also include practice time, riding difficulties that have been overcome, and lap times. so they see he is always getting better and working hard to get better, also a video helps they like to see good funny happy all smiles kids, so they know the kid they are looking at isn't a "bad kid" for lack of a better term, and an actual track race day video after a long moto etc. is the best not a made just for the sponsor video.

What websites have you used to promote your rider?

NONE, i put him on sponsorhouse & mxsponsor.com and have received offers from all sorts of crazy stuff like energy drinks you have never heard of, to Oneal moose etc. but we have never taken any of those. and don't plan to.

When fielding sponsorship offers, what terms are one to expect? 10% - 50%? Free swag?

depends right now its all 50% to free depends on what it is.

i haven't accepted anything that was less then 50% off yet, usually even your local dealer even if they don't know you will give you 10% off if you race with there stickers.

How many sponsorships should you take on?

i would say that depends on what company they are and what they make,

a company like MSR or MOOSE make alot more things then just gear, so that can limit other sponsors, but can be a good thing that they cover more bases, MSR doesn't want to sponsor you if moose does to because they make the same stuff, in our MSR contract it says we cannot use any Thor 661 fox etc gear or parts at all, and i assume other mx company's contracts are similar.

i would look for gear, parts/handlebars etc, graphics, tires, oil/fluids, even a none MX company sponsor, and of course a local dealer or MC store.

Did you approach local businesses, if so, which ones?

Wrights Motorcycle parts, RAD Hubs, the edge motor sports (ktm Suzuki dealer), and a bunch of others in mx, the other ones i tried was plumbing supply company a lawn company etc. but all of these types of sponsorships failed, i bet a family member or friend with a local business would be a good place to start.

Did you make custom graphics or use sponsor stickers?

on my sons bikes its all been stickers except for the 65 that is custom sponsorship oriented graphics, i think stickers are fine for 50's, but the

65's and up is time to start doing the custom graphic thing, it looks better for the kids and sponsors.