Sign in to follow this  

Going to check out a used 2000 XR650R What should i look for

Going to check out a used 2000 XR650R

What should the compression be near and what else

should I look for?

The Manual says 160psi

I know its a 2000 but what sort of use are we looking at? (road, offroad, raced, barely used?)

Most of it is what you see is what you get...as far as wear and tear.

I'm sure you have seen post on weak points...but something thats 8 years old will show some wear... (I have a 2000) The only thing I could add out of the obvious and it depends on the response you are given about the use...

- It's rare but I don't know the size of the PO (Previous owner) or the type of use and load the bike saw...but the subframe has been found to crack at some points. It can be repaired if it hasn't grown too much.

- Check for an oil leak from the countershaft seal (its common to overfill the bike and it will leak from here due to it...as well a 2000 has an old style seal (but since its been around for 8 years the PO may have updated it already along with the clutch bushing, still something to ask about)

This is all minor and if you have shopped for a bike before you will know what to look for!

BUT

...once you get one tear it apart and re-grease everything and come back with any questions. You have the experts of this bike here at your disposal (not me)

hope it goes well!

JT

Cracks on the frame Left side! :D I have a 2000 and had to weld that up myself! :) Now I am nervous! :worthy:

the oil, how many mile before he changed it? and the valves evey 600 miles! is the air filter clean how about in side the air box is it clean? how much paint is gone down by the pegs just my .02

is it a big deal? I never did it and it works good
It seizes on the main hub and destroys it too. I bought my 01,2 years ago and it had not been upgraded and was showing signs of seizure.

Going to check out a used 2000 XR650R

What should the compression be near and what else

should I look for?

If you haven't seen them yet...there are a few sites that will show you the few weakpoints of the XRR.

Any search on internet and you will have run across them;

http://www.xr650r.us/

and

http://borynack.com/XR650R/index.htm

Loose counter sprocket, bad seal x3. Also the typical swingarm corrosion. 00'650R. Less than normal bikes though.