Sign in to follow this  

This is it! Honda CRF450 Good/bad?

hello. I have a question that i would lika a answer to. i thought i will post it here on TT wich there are so many menbers on. So this is whats up. i am going to bye i "new" bike the choices are Honda CR 250 00-04 and a HONDA CRF 450. when i think crf 450 i think: BROKEN or blown engine =( but IS this true. i want i reliable bike, and i will take GOOD care of it with pistons valves and oil changes and all that.. so my question is. Do i dare to bye a second hand 450? learn my everything i need to know... "worried swede"

I've got an 06 that I ride the piss out of. Never a valve out of spec, never and engine issue. It hauls ass and I love it.

"happy crf owner"

There's no issue with buying a used 450 unless you don't know how to evaluate the bike. If you're serious and don't know how, pay the money for the bike to be inspected by a trusted dealer. It's not a lot of money and well worth it.

I've owned a number of used bikes and all have been excellent. But, I know what I'm looking at when I buy.

I bought a used 04 CRF450R from a guy that rode it a few time at the track who realize it was waaaaay too much for him. I proved to be a great bike and I never had a single problem with it. To my knowledge, the guy that bought is still riding it problem free.

I bought a used 2006 CRF 450R. I have had no problems what soever with it. Also, when I bought it, it literally didn't have a scratch on it, and the engine covers were in great condition. I too, am a happy 450 owner. :)

I would be wary about buying a used 4t mx bike. At the very least take it to a shop and have it checked over, those bikes can be expensive to repair

I've got an 06 that I ride the piss out of. Never a valve out of spec, never and engine issue. It hauls ass and I love it.

"happy crf owner"

that sounds great =)

There's no issue with buying a used 450 unless you don't know how to evaluate the bike. If you're serious and don't know how, pay the money for the bike to be inspected by a trusted dealer. It's not a lot of money and well worth it.

I've owned a number of used bikes and all have been excellent. But, I know what I'm looking at when I buy.

I bought a used 04 CRF450R from a guy that rode it a few time at the track who realize it was waaaaay too much for him. I proved to be a great bike and I never had a single problem with it. To my knowledge, the guy that bought is still riding it problem free.

That is the thing i want to hear. =)

I would be wary about buying a used 4t mx bike. At the very least take it to a shop and have it checked over, those bikes can be expensive to repair

What to check on a crf450 when buying one.? should o take the valve covers apart and check the valves?

not going to do much without measuring eqipment, look for how easy it is tos tart hot and cold, unusual knocks or noises from the engine (particulary the timing chain side), blue smoke (some black smoke is normal), then jsut the usual really, cheack the wheel bearing and swing arm bushings, frame for damage, ect.

also look at the owner, normally if he has a nice clean garage with a few bikes/ cars all kept clean and everythings neat, it gives you an idea as to how he/she would have treated the bike your buying, jsut the same if it's kept out the back shed and still has mud on it from it's last ride.

If the engine is warm when you show up tellthem no deal because the best way to judge the valves is to start it cold. If its easy to start then youre in good shape. There should be very little smoke and no starnge noises. Check all the bearings you can and peek at the radiators.

If the engine is warm when you show up tellthem no deal because the best way to judge the valves is to start it cold. If its easy to start then youre in good shape. There should be very little smoke and no starnge noises. Check all the bearings you can and peek at the radiators.

thanks. where is the best place in th US to bye valves and top end stuff

Lots of online stores will have them, but other than a dealer, which would probably only have OEM, I wouldnt know. If you do need valves, make sure you go the whole nine yards and get the valve seats cut and throw in some Stainless Steel Intakes. From my experiences they last longer than the Titanium ones do.

all i can do is put in my 2 cents. when i wanted to get a 450 4-stroke, i narrowed it down to a 5-speed that was 06 or older because of price. i looked very hard at the Honda and the Yamaha. and decided on the Yamaha because there were just too many threads on thumpertalk about valve adjustments, and changing entire heads, valve trains, or buying aftermarket valves. some will say they've never had a problem with a Honda. but the way I see it, if there are 3-4 companies specializing in stronger aftermarket valves just for the Honda's, then there must be a market for them, and that means a lot of honda customers.

on the other hand, i was time and time again about guys on the yamaha forum who went 3-4-5 years without checking valves, checked them and they were still fine.

but that's just me, i ride off-road. so i don't need the absolute most powerful 450 or the sharpest handling. i need one that will take some abuse. i ended up getting a 2-stroke anyway but if i were to go out and get a 450 it'd be a Yamaha or a KTM. prob yamaha because they're cheaper used.

^^^^^ VERY, VERY well said!!!!! I agree 100%... when I have the money, I might give Honda a shot, but as long as I'm a broke college student its Yamaha all the way. The 5 valve head design is untouchable as far as durability. I'm not a big fan of used bikes at all, but if I had to do it, I would buy blue.

Not trying to knock Honda's at all, hell I've never owned one, but then again, I just cant take the chance on a Honda.

all i can do is put in my 2 cents. when i wanted to get a 450 4-stroke, i narrowed it down to a 5-speed that was 06 or older because of price. i looked very hard at the Honda and the Yamaha. and decided on the Yamaha because there were just too many threads on thumpertalk about valve adjustments, and changing entire heads, valve trains, or buying aftermarket valves. some will say they've never had a problem with a Honda. but the way I see it, if there are 3-4 companies specializing in stronger aftermarket valves just for the Honda's, then there must be a market for them, and that means a lot of honda customers.

on the other hand, i was time and time again about guys on the yamaha forum who went 3-4-5 years without checking valves, checked them and they were still fine.

but that's just me, i ride off-road. so i don't need the absolute most powerful 450 or the sharpest handling. i need one that will take some abuse. i ended up getting a 2-stroke anyway but if i were to go out and get a 450 it'd be a Yamaha or a KTM. prob yamaha because they're cheaper used.

FU¤%#¤%K this!! i dont have the balls to bye a used CFR450. i now have my sight @ a kawa kx 250 2004 or a Honda cr 250 2003

I have a 05' CRF450R I got second hand and have riden it HARD over 300 hours not to mention the unknown amount of riding before I got it. Deep mud up to the middle of the engine, water crossings, desert, sand, crashes, full throttle almost everywhere. Its taken about as much abuse as a bike can take and ive never had a single problem with it. Starts first kick everytime, never adjusted valves. Best bike ever, I highly recomend a crf

l_bf6d47ffbd995d794ff863fd61e47e7f.jpg

bought my CRF 450 rode the hell out of it and had surgery jan 08. Bike sat on a stand while I recovered from surgery. 8 months later I go out clean it up from storage status and kick it over. The only problem I had this weekend after riding it for the first time was I blew the tube in the back tire.

I wouldnt trade it for anything