Sign in to follow this  

83 Honda XL250R dies after 20 minutes when hot then restarts when cools

Hi all,

New to posting to but not to reading the info here on TT. And there is allot of great info that has helped me in the past....I have, now, however, run into a rather confusing electrical problem... Some history first if I may...

Two years ago I picked up a nice 83 XL 250R for my G/F to ride because she indicated she'd like to get her street license. I wanted her to get some dirt time because I feel it translates well to the street...always room for more skills.. During that time we rode it on our farm, local fields and some trails. Well, two weeks ago, things got funny. This XL has had all the lighting removed as well as the signals and battery.

So, two weeks ago I'm riding and the bike just dies...like someone drained the tank or yanked the spark plug boot. I thought the plug fouled because there was no spark...I replaced the plug...and still no spark. Frustrated and tired, I walked away figuring it was dead...I later went out to the barn to kick it just for kicks...it started first kick..I figured the coil was bad...I replaced the coil...She started right up, ran for 20 minutes then died again...no spark. Let her cool off and she started and ran fine...for 20 minutes. At this point I disconnected the regulator/rectifier AND the finned regulator. I kicked the bike and it started..ran great for 20 minutes then shut off with no spark...and of course, started when she cooled off.

Should the bike even start with the reg/rect AND reg disconnected?

I was going to replace the reg/rect and the reg but now I'm thinking it's the stator. I can't see the CDI going bad...

Anyone have any suggestions/advice...Gladly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sulli

Hi all,

New to posting to but not to reading the info here on TT. And there is allot of great info that has helped me in the past....I have, now, however, run into a rather confusing electrical problem... Some history first if I may...

Two years ago I picked up a nice 83 XL 250R for my G/F to ride because she indicated she'd like to get her street license. I wanted her to get some dirt time because I feel it translates well to the street...always room for more skills.. During that time we rode it on our farm, local fields and some trails. Well, two weeks ago, things got funny. This XL has had all the lighting removed as well as the signals and battery.

So, two weeks ago I'm riding and the bike just dies...like someone drained the tank or yanked the spark plug boot. I thought the plug fouled because there was no spark...I replaced the plug...and still no spark. Frustrated and tired, I walked away figuring it was dead...I later went out to the barn to kick it just for kicks...it started first kick..I figured the coil was bad...I replaced the coil...She started right up, ran for 20 minutes then died again...no spark. Let her cool off and she started and ran fine...for 20 minutes. At this point I disconnected the regulator/rectifier AND the finned regulator. I kicked the bike and it started..ran great for 20 minutes then shut off with no spark...and of course, started when she cooled off.

Should the bike even start with the reg/rect AND reg disconnected?

I was going to replace the reg/rect and the reg but now I'm thinking it's the stator. I can't see the CDI going bad...

Anyone have any suggestions/advice...Gladly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sulli

Your stator/pulse coil is breaking down under load ie when it gets hot.5 min test for someone who knows how to read a multimeter & has the specs for that bike...:)

Sounds to me like something ie. stator winding is melting the solder and opening the curcuit. When it cools the solder connects again and the curcuit closes.

If you get a repair manual it should tell you how to test for shorts and grounds.

Hey Guys, thanks for the reply. I do have a manual for the bike that gives the test points and values and I did put my meter on it last night. However, I'm not sure about the readings. When I tested the coil, the meter read fine. When I went to test the stator through the connectors, the meter would only read 1, no matter which setting I used on the meter dial, which I think may be infinity. The manual states to set the meter at r 10X I believe, however, my multimeter doesn't have this setting. I was thinking maybe I have to dig out my old meter to measure this. I'm not sure. The same thing happened when I went to test the CDI leads..no readings on the meter...just stayed at 1 no matter what resistance I dialed on the meter.

I have a stator coming that I hope will solve this issue.

Thanks for the replies.