Sign in to follow this  

What do you think

Alright i know its mostly the rider but do you think can you take a crf250X and make it competitive and hold its own against the 250R . and does any one race motocross and take the X with them to the race .Im startin racin every weekend comin in march and was wonderin what you guys think about using the X ? :)

I definately do know it's possible to make an X Motocross competetive. From my understanding the basics consists of:

-Doing the CCC Mods, including the Pink Wire Mod

-Changing to the R Cam or Hot Cams

-Possible (most likely for soaking up jumps) customized suspension

-And different gearing would be a good thing in my mind to try and make it a little taller in each gear. So, you don't rev out and have to shift so much. This is just an idea though, I haven't really heard much about it.

There are further things you can do to make your X really shine and just rip! But for basics, this would definately help you out.

P.S. Changing to a regular Number Plate while at the track wouldn't be a bad thing either for confidence purposes. :)

haha yea i have all white plastic comin to me for the R and ive raced it and got first but the people there was alrite but not great

and i have all the CCC mods except the header done and ive hit over 100 ft. jumps and the suspension does alrite for me i just set the preload really stiff and i weigh 130 in gear and it does just fine plus i like my suspension stiff

I weight about 140 in gear. At 5'8'' and 15 years old, not unusual. lol

I wanna start motoing my X next year once I get my license.

With a # plate for the track, different countershaft, and no kickstand; possibly graphics. My bike will have multi-personalities depending on where I'm riding!!! :):D

And all the other stuff will be put back on for the trail. I love it!!!! :worthy:

Yea im 15 also and im 5' 8" and i am just motocross only i hate ridin trails lol if i do its just for like 10 minutes the only other thing i really get into is hillclimbs but i should have my plastic tomorrow and im gettin the Hart&Huntington replicas for it :)

The funny thing its all stock except CCC mods and i smoke everyone wherever i go its so funny

i should have my plastic tomorrow and im gettin the Hart&Huntington replicas for it :)

Arent they tatoo artists or something?

Arent they tatoo artists or something?

The "Hart" is Carey Hart, of FMX fame. "Huntington" was his former partner that started the tattoo business.

I don't know guys....I think with any amount of money you can make something work well, and mx is mostly rider skill, but if you have someone with equal skill, you more than likely won't be able to keep up with the mx bikes. I'm sorry, but they are just two different beasts.

Just curious of any of you have ever ridden an R? If so you'll know the difference. The R is just so much lighter and more nimble and has about 5hp or more difference on you, which is a TON of difference.

I posted this on another thread, but I was at the track last week and got into a dead on drag race with a bone stock 07 250R up a long hill and he walked me pretty good, and I have all the CCC mods except a hot cam rather than the R cam....I also have dropped probably 10lbs from my bike.

So I think for your average riders the x if set up right can do just fine, but when you start getting into the skilled riders I don't think there is a chance of the X keeping up.

I don't know guys....I think with any amount of money you can make something work well, and mx is mostly rider skill, but if you have someone with equal skill, you more than likely won't be able to keep up with the mx bikes. I'm sorry, but they are just two different beasts.

Just curious of any of you have ever ridden an R? If so you'll know the difference. The R is just so much lighter and more nimble and has about 5hp or more difference on you, which is a TON of difference.

I posted this on another thread, but I was at the track last week and got into a dead on drag race with a bone stock 07 250R up a long hill and he walked me pretty good, and I have all the CCC mods except a hot cam rather than the R cam....I also have dropped probably 10lbs from my bike.

So I think for your average riders the x if set up right can do just fine, but when you start getting into the skilled riders I don't think there is a chance of the X keeping up.

Yeah, they are different enough that I wouldn't want to ruin a good X to try to make it an R. Keep the X, buy an R so you can have 2 animals for each type of terrain. If you can't afford both, then you can't afford to be competitive in MX. It's sad, but true. Remember, you don't have to buy new.

Yeah, they are different enough that I wouldn't want to ruin a good X to try to make it an R. Keep the X, buy an R so you can have 2 animals for each type of terrain. If you can't afford both, then you can't afford to be competitive in MX. It's sad, but true. Remember, you don't have to buy new.

I agree....I can't afford an X and R, but I do ride my brother-in-laws Cr125R at the track and while I don't care for the two stroke, but the suspension makes it much better.

It's about time I get my suspension done anway so I'll probably have it set up more for the track. I'm not interested in being competitive, just fun.

I agree....I can't afford an X and R, but I do ride my brother-in-laws Cr125R at the track and while I don't care for the two stroke, but the suspension makes it much better.

It's about time I get my suspension done anway so I'll probably have it set up more for the track. I'm not interested in being competitive, just fun.

You certainly can make an X competitive, but you've ruined it by the time you do. You could put that money to better use sup'ing up an R that already started from where you're trying to get the X.

You certainly can make an X competitive, but you've ruined it by the time you do. You could put that money to better use sup'ing up an R that already started from where you're trying to get the X.

true. I've pretty much ruined mine. ha ha ha. Took off the light, battery and just about everything else that makes it an X (still have the smog stuff though) Thinking about ditching the starter. I don't mind kicking it cause it usually fires up in the 1st or 2nd kick. I just haven't been in any tight situations lately that makes me appreciate the magic button.

true. I've pretty much ruined mine. ha ha ha. Took off the light, battery and just about everything else that makes it an X (still have the smog stuff though) Thinking about ditching the starter. I don't mind kicking it cause it usually fires up in the 1st or 2nd kick. I just haven't been in any tight situations lately that makes me appreciate the magic button.

That's funny. The smog stuff is the first thing I would have taken off. F|_|ck the environment. :D

My battery has been dead pretty much since I got it. I didn't know how to take care of it in between rides and it was a LOOOONG time in between rides for the first four years, so it just died...completely. Now I just have 15 pounds of extra mass that I carry around with me for no reason. Speaking of which...why the hell haven't I taken that dead battery out?!?! :)

That's funny. The smog stuff is the first thing I would have taken off. F|_|ck the environment. :D

My battery has been dead pretty much since I got it. I didn't know how to take care of it in between rides and it was a LOOOONG time in between rides for the first four years, so it just died...completely. Now I just have 15 pounds of extra mass that I carry around with me for no reason. Speaking of which...why the hell haven't I taken that dead battery out?!?! :)

Yeah, I don't like the smog stuff either, but the rangers will crack down hard on people for not having it. It doesn't really effect performance so I don't mind it....I don't think it weighs much either.

Heck yeah man, get that battery out of there....I posted how much it weighed a while back, but I can't remember what it was...ha ha ha....like

3.5lbs or 4lbs...something like that. Not that much, but when you add it to everything else it adds up.

Yeah, I don't like the smog stuff either, but the rangers will crack down hard on people for not having it. It doesn't really effect performance so I don't mind it....I don't think it weighs much either.

Heck yeah man, get that battery out of there....I posted how much it weighed a while back, but I can't remember what it was...ha ha ha....like

3.5lbs or 4lbs...something like that. Not that much, but when you add it to everything else it adds up.

I didn't realize they actively checked for it. I thought they just had to sell it with the smog kit. Dang Californians! :)

I didn't realize they actively checked for it. I thought they just had to sell it with the smog kit. Dang Californians! :)

Nope, they check most of the time when you enter into the parks. My uncle took his smog off his 450x and they told him to not even take the bike out of the back of the truck until it's installed and working....they slap you with a pretty good fine I believe.

Yea i have rode the R but im just gonna take my chances this season and the im gettin a 450 next year