Sign in to follow this  

250x gearing for track

I've been riding a lot at the track lately and I find myself shifting a ton with the current 13/53 sprocket set up. The tracks I ride are pretty tight, not really any long wide open straights. Any suggestions from those of you who ride the track with your X? 13/51 or 13/52??

A lot of the times I find myself running out of gear right before the jumps so I'm left in an weird position. I suck at riding so it might just be me, but thought I'd get some feedback.

I too find myself in a similiar dilemma. Cutting the Pink Wire may help you out some. It raises your rev limiter 500 RPM, meaning you may have to shift less often. I would definately try some different gearing, I'm looking to do the same eventually.

I've been riding a lot at the track lately and I find myself shifting a ton with the current 13/53 sprocket set up. The tracks I ride are pretty tight, not really any long wide open straights. Any suggestions from those of you who ride the track with your X? 13/51 or 13/52??

A lot of the times I find myself running out of gear right before the jumps so I'm left in an weird position. I suck at riding so it might just be me, but thought I'd get some feedback.

My bike is similar to yours with nearly the same jetting and a stage 1 cam, I have been using a 14/51 sprocket combo and has been working good. I have been doing some track riding lately with some tight sections and could benefit sometimes from slightly higher rpm but with the stage 1, am trying to stay out of the high rpm range. I weigh about 200 lbs. 13/53 would not be a good set up for me.

I too find myself in a similiar dilemma. Cutting the Pink Wire may help you out some. It raises your rev limiter 500 RPM, meaning you may have to shift less often. I would definately try some different gearing, I'm looking to do the same eventually.

sorry, I should have listed all my mods, but I did the pink wire mod when I installed the hot cam. Great mod.

14/51....that seems a bit high geared, but maybe I'll get it a try. I just need to some trial and error, but changing sprockets isn't all that fun to do.

Also, I might put a 168 main jet back in because with the 165 the power seems to flatten out up top.

sorry, I should have listed all my mods, but I did the pink wire mod when I installed the hot cam. Great mod. 14/51....that seems a bit high geared, but maybe I'll get it a try. I just need to some trial and error, but changing sprockets isn't all that fun to do. Also, I might put a 168 main jet back in because with the 165 the power seems to flatten out up top.

I also have an 06 with the HC stage 1, CP 13.5:1 piston and full FMF Power Bomb / Q4 exhaust, opened airbox and jetted with the 168 main, 45 pilot and a new needle (can't remember which). But I am finding tht I run out of gear in some tight uphill single tracks where I'm in 3rd , but going to 4Th there is too much of a bog to get it into the meat of power with the stock gearing. Would a 14/51 help?

Has anyone tried this? With the mods the bike has plenty of Torque with 14/53, but 1st is useless and second is only good on some very short run up steep hills but runs ut of legs.