Sign in to follow this  

Possible 1993 F150 as first truck??

Hey guys...looking at a 1993 Ford F150 right now. 4.9L, L6 Fl/rear wheel drive. There's 169,000 miles on it, and I already did a Carfax report and that turned up nothing. No accidents, major repairs (no repairs actually), no problems, etc. It's an automatic, and the guy is the second owner.

Here's the catch. He is only asking $800 because the driver side window is broken (read: brick thrown through it) and the ignition is busted (read: he starts it with a screw driver). Now my questions are;

1. How expensive does it sound like it will be to replace those two items?

2. Is the ignition something I can do myself? I read that the ignition cylinder pops out and is easy to replace??

3. Anything else I should look for, other than the basics when looking at a used car?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!!! :D:worthy::)

Edit: Here is the ad, word for word.

1993 ford f-150 xl 300 6cyl 4AODE trans ice cold A/c 19GPM

new tires, new battery, new alternator, new radiator, tinted windows

some cracks in dashboard, drivers door window broken, still rides good

ignition removed(not professionally - use screwdriver!) very reliable

drivers door window broken, still rides good

ignition removed(not professionally - use screwdriver!

I can assure you it has been stolen at one time or another. (think about it:confused: )

However, the AODE's were decent transmissions, and the 300's were good motors from what I can remember. It is getting to the max life of the "average life" of the AODE trans.

ign and window w/ labor about 300.00, tell him 500, trans is a weak one, if it was stick it would be better. shop around a little too, full size trucks are down in value, and you might find one better.

Drivers side window=$50 from a boneyard.

Ignition: Doors and ignition were keyed alike in that year, so the smart thing would be to replace all 3 tumblers (you're going to already have the drivers door apart).

Ignition lock alone is $16 from Napa-complete set (doors and ignition) is going to run about $50-$60

The ignition is really easy-get it in the "run" position, and look straight up from the floor at the column-there's a small hole in there. Press in that hole with a small diameter long pick and pull the ignition lock assy out of the column.

I have the exact same truck, but its a 95.

Lets begin.....

YOU WILL NOT GET 19 MPG, MINE GETS 12 AVERAGE.

(if i do nothing but highway driving at 55 (gas mileage best) i can get about 16 to 17)

Ball joints and tie-rods along with other front end parts like to wear out.

Depending on where you live, you'll probably end up with ford plague if you dont allready have it, its the rust over the back wheel well, EVERY ford of that body style around here has it including mine.

Dont beat on the E4OD... nuff said

Dont beat on the truck, its not a speed demon, i tried it once, burned a quarter tank, and my foot hasnt been past half throttle since...

thats about it though, not bad trucks, they will last forever if you keep up on maintnence.

Thanks for all the replies guys!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!!! :D:worthy:

I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow and see what's going on...if that's all the stuff wrong with it, I'm going to offer him $500 and see if he takes it. :)

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the replies guys!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!!! :D:worthy:

I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow and see what's going on...if that's all the stuff wrong with it, I'm going to offer him $500 and see if he takes it. :)

Thanks again!

Bring cash-greenbacks are some of the best persuasion tools available. If after you offer, he's hem haw-ing around, wave the cash......works wonders to make up the sellers mind.

I have the exact same truck, but its a 95.

Lets begin.....

YOU WILL NOT GET 19 MPG, MINE GETS 12 AVERAGE.

(if i do nothing but highway driving at 55 (gas mileage best) i can get about 16 to 17)

Ball joints and tie-rods along with other front end parts like to wear out.

Depending on where you live, you'll probably end up with ford plague if you dont allready have it, its the rust over the back wheel well, EVERY ford of that body style around here has it including mine.

Dont beat on the E4OD... nuff said

Dont beat on the truck, its not a speed demon, i tried it once, burned a quarter tank, and my foot hasnt been past half throttle since...

thats about it though, not bad trucks, they will last forever if you keep up on maintnence.

The e40d is the heavy duty/ 4r100 type....good trans, but he has the aode, which is basically the 4r70w, a lighter duty version, only capable of withstanding 700 lbs of torque :)

Beat on em...they can take it

I had a F150sc 4x4 with the 4.9fi and a Mazda manual 5-speed transmission. The motor had 230,000 miles on it when I sold it, still running like new. No power and the same fuel economy as a small block V-8. My friend has an 88 with an aode trans. I told him to dump the truck at 100k before the trans went out, well that was almost 300,000 miles ago (still going strong), oh well what do I know! :D $500 for any vehicle that runs-drives is a good deal :)

Thanks guys...I'm only going to bring $600 with me tomorrow and that's my limit. Any more and I'd probably be better off buying something else. I need enough money to get it fixed afterwards, and registration and everything else. :)

Thanks for y'alls help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:worthy::ride:

Hey guys...looked at the truck today. It was surprisingly in good ocndition, other than the already mentioned problems. The exterior was pretty nice, other than the tailgate. And the interior looked clean too.

One thing I wanted to run by y'all though...He replaced the trans on it a year or so ago, and it shifts a bit weird. You have to start off in 2nd gear, and then shift into drive when it gets to about 20 MPH or so....he says it's been this way ever since and has never been an issue. It didn't seem like one either when I test drove it today, just wanted to run it by you guys.

He said he'd take $600 for it, though I had to bend his arm a bit. And he just filled up both tanks with $90 worth of gas! :)

I'm probably going to pick it up tomorrow, if nothing comes up. Your thoughts?? Will post pics then... :ride:

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!! :D:worthy:

If the hole where the lock cylinder goes is damaged plan on a whole colum fron a junkyard. Pretty easy to swap in a good one.

Almost sounds like he swapped a c6 in place of an aode and the shifter linkage and positions dont match up anymore...but who knows

Hey guys...looked at the truck today. It was surprisingly in good ocndition, other than the already mentioned problems. The exterior was pretty nice, other than the tailgate. And the interior looked clean too.

One thing I wanted to run by y'all though...He replaced the trans on it a year or so ago, and it shifts a bit weird. You have to start off in 2nd gear, and then shift into drive when it gets to about 20 MPH or so....he says it's been this way ever since and has never been an issue. It didn't seem like one either when I test drove it today, just wanted to run it by you guys.

He said he'd take $600 for it, though I had to bend his arm a bit. And he just filled up both tanks with $90 worth of gas! :)

I'm probably going to pick it up tomorrow, if nothing comes up. Your thoughts?? Will post pics then... :ride:

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!! :D:worthy:

Does it shift through 3 or 4 gears?