Sign in to follow this  

Is this a good deal on a DR650SE??

Hello all!

I am a new member here, and had a question. Currently, I own a 2005 Suzuki C50 cruiser. It has 4665 miles on it, and is in minty condition. However, I had a back injury about 7 months ago, and the dynamics of the bike are too much for my lower back.

Anyhow, I have a guy who is interested in my bike. He has a 2006 Suzuki DR650SE, it has 1890 original miles and looks really good. I test drove it today, and liked it alot... I like the weight distribution, its great low-end torque, the agile feel of the bike, not to mention the fact that it can do off-roading (which I wouldn't do much of).

He offered to do a trade of sorts. He wants to trade me his bike for mine, plus offer $1000 cash, and he will have Suzuki do a full service on the bike (oil, chain lube, any adjustments, etc.). In essence, based on the Kelly Blue Book Values, if I were to base it off of the Retail Value prices, I would be basically getting his bike for $3490, and this doesn't count the fact that I am getting the full Suzuki dealership service.

I guess what I am curious, is should I just try to sell my bike, or is this too good of a deal to pass up? Thoughts about this would be appreciated, since I am new to Dual Sports and Thumper bikes. Thanks!

Ian

Edit: My bike by Kelly Blue Book Retail is $4490.

I don't know what your bike is worth but I would guess that the DR would sell for about 3800.00 so it sounds to me like you would be doing OK.

If I have this deal correct, he will give you an '05 DR-650 plus $1000.00 for your '05 C50. If you use Kelly Blue Book numbers, the 05 DR is worth $3300.00, your C50 is worth $4425.00. These numbers are diffrent regionally. National Auto Dealers Association numbers are a little diffrent. It looks like a fair deal, not a great one. The end result is that you will realize about $4400.00 for your C50 plus the Suzuki service on the DR. I don't think anyone gets hurt here!

You could see if he would do it for less and leave out the dealer work. If he bites then you got an evern better deal. If not you still would be ok. You would both walk with a fair deal.

If I have this deal correct, he will give you an '05 DR-650 plus $1000.00 for your '05 C50. If you use Kelly Blue Book numbers, the 05 DR is worth $3300.00, your C50 is worth $4425.00. These numbers are diffrent regionally. National Auto Dealers Association numbers are a little diffrent. It looks like a fair deal, not a great one. The end result is that you will realize about $4400.00 for your C50 plus the Suzuki service on the DR. I don't think anyone gets hurt here!

Actually, its a 2006 DR650SE, and I actually completed the deal today. He gave me the '06 DR650SE, $1200 cash, plus the dealership oil change, for my 2005 Suzuki C50. I believe I made out like a champ!! :)

Sweet Deal. I'm sure you will enjoy the DR over the C50. The DR opens up endless riding possibilities. I too have a sensitive back. The riding position on almost all cruisers put my feet out in front of me so that most of my upper body weight is on my lower back. The DR provides a more upright riding position with a lot of suspension front and rear.

Thanks! I do have a question though after riding some... is the speedo 100% correct, or is it off a bit? I notice when I am doing 60 in a 55 zone, I am just barely keeping up with traffic, but when I hit about 62, I am doing a bit better than the traffic around me. I know on the C50 I had, there was about a 10% variance in the speedo.

My '01's speedo is the same way. I believe most are off to some degree or another. It's a great excuse to go buy a real nice GPS and mount. Then you can spend time puttsing around installing the mount in "just the right place", run the wires precisly where they will do the job and look perfect, you know, "puttsing around". Welcome to DR Farkling!!