Sign in to follow this  

klr 650 jetting

im wondering what jetting to use on a 2002 klr 650 with air box mod, shimmed needle, and super trapp exhaust? i think stock main is 148(i think) me and a buddy are going at this on the weekend ,looking for a little more out of her....thanks

Have you removed the cover over the fuel screw so you can adjust the it?

Have you gotten it out and run it at highway speeds with this configuration yet?

What's your elevation?

fuel screw cover will be removed...havent started at the bike yet...elevation is 1750 above sea level....mostly wondering what main to run maybe 160-170 and how many turns out on fuel screw(i know i have to play a little with that one)

It will depend a little on how much shim you have under the needle, as shimming the needle also will richen the top end due to it's unusual taper. The 87-07 KLR's were also a little too rich on the main jet to start with.

So, if you're running about .040" or more shim, and 6-8 discs, the stock #148 may be about right. More discs may require a #150, 152.5, or possibly even a #155. Highly unlikely that you would need anything more than that.

This is what Im running right now,:2 shims from a Suzuki Bandit Dyno jet kit,that were left over,exact fit,slide drilled 7/64ths,boot removed from airbox,2 turns out on mix screw,foam airfilter,Lexx exhaust mid pipe,and can,I want to remove the screen from the airbox,and when my KLX needle kit comes,I will,but for right now,just doing these changes to my bone stock 03 klr650,made a very dramatic difference,So much so,that I will be surprised if the KLX needle and 140 main jet can do much better,the roll on power with this set up is impressive compared to what it was,but I must go ahead,since Ive already ordered the parts,the motor feels like it wants to go fast now,No kidding,,they say KLRs are underpowered,so getting what is there to work better is all Ive been trying to do,I know its not a crotch rocket,and dont really need much more,Im happy with this set up.DRAMATIC difference.

Edited by XR_RON

be aware that Dynojet and Kehin (and Mik) have different flow rates for the same jet number. all 3 brands fit the hole and all are different from each other.... this will drive you crazy trying to jet if you have a mix of brands. how do I know these things? Ha... anyway, I have a chart some where that crosses flow rate with numbers, but not on this computer. and yes, a smaller than stock jet if you go KLX needle. higher altitude needs smaller as well (not an issue for you).

OK,Ive got the KLX needle,and a 140,142.5 and a 145 jets,My bike has the 22 cents mod,snorkel removed,Lexx pipe,I did not cut the metal screen out yet,Its running so dam good,Im kind of hesitent to muck with it,and install the KLX and diff.jet,this KLR 650 rides out good,and revs out like a road bike, What are they running with 22 centsmod,snorkel removed,and aftermarket pipe?

Once the LEXX got ran in for a while,It started sounding better,and better,its got a decent rumble through the gears,and gets quiet as a church when you back down the go lever,Im a firm beliver in if it aint broke,dont fix it,what say you?

be aware that Dynojet and Kehin (and Mik) have different flow rates for the same jet number. all 3 brands fit the hole and all are different from each other.... this will drive you crazy trying to jet if you have a mix of brands. how do I know these things? Ha... anyway, I have a chart some where that crosses flow rate with numbers, but not on this computer. and yes, a smaller than stock jet if you go KLX needle. higher altitude needs smaller as well (not an issue for you).

Is the chart you speak of the same one posted here:http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/199790-klr-mods-snappy/page__view__findpost__p__9882659

It isn't by flow, but by size. I'd think that should be fairly close...

ya, thats the chart. note the size of the hole on the left & compare the jet numbers.... way different number for the same size hole. I was told (didn't verify) that the entrance and exit angles are different as well. all these thing affect flow rate. easiest thing is to pick one brand and stay with it.