Sign in to follow this  

Where The H Is 2-ply????

:D i think 2-ply is in *****et thailand trying to patent his bitchen thaimex titanium mickey mouse logo diving watch:bonk: where are you?people have issues:worthy: we got tranny issues below,boot issues,and bike comparison issues???:) W.T.F.!!!!!!!

He's getting ready for a good trail ride this weekend. I was invited but my wife is due any day, plus I suck at riding these bikes which was probably the real reason I didn't go. :)

Pro Marinero is right about the busy getting ready for the first Cascade Mountains ride of the season. Unfortunately, it's going to be a record hot day on Saturday. Been busy also, cleaning out the Syncro Westfalia to achieve a delicate balance between bike and tool hauler and self-contained 4x4 camper.

Also, for health and fun reasons, I've been trying to figure out how to be as good at Golf as I am at riding.... Translation: A little better than average.

Right now, I suck more at Golf than Pro Marinero does at Trials.:D

Well. I should say my wife and I are about equal, so it's a race to see who can get a clue and break 100 before the other. But no matter how bad the score, we are hoofin it so the exercise after work has been great.

We'll be meeting a friend that now works for the Forest Service and will loan him the 300 Pro while my friend and I will be riding the 07 and 08 Ragas. We are looking into finding a way to break the mold that a motorcycle is like all other motorcycles and get the USFS to designate different class bikes for different trails. Right now, if they can't ride it on their stock XL Hondas, they close it to bikes. But those are exactly the trails we want. Anyway, it's a fun ride and with any luck, one step closer to a graduated trail policy. :)

Welcome back 2-ply. Does this mean your now on golf forums? You know Golf is huge in Thailand.

2Ply- you have a Westy Syncrobucket? I owned one of those for a lot of years. At the time I could have bought the 4 door pickup version of one but opted for the camper- still kicking myself. BTW, I like the classification idea- up north where I ride mostly it comes down to physical limitiations as opposed to John Q Law on a moto.

I'll be out east on Sunday for a lurk on my 315 or possibly a long-haul format ride from Leav to Chelan and back on my big orange pig. Should be a little cooler that day I hope.

Welcome back 2-ply. Does this mean your now on golf forums? You know Golf is huge in Thailand.

NO WAY!! I'd be shamed away from any Golf Forum. I'm just dragging a golf bag around for exercise and whacking away at this little white ball to make it look like something more.

My wife is from Thailand. She just finished her third year here in the States. She golfed in Thailand and from the way she gets pissed off at people dropping balls behind her and me nagging her to hurry up, they must reserve the game for Royalty and take their own sweet time.

Some Japanese guy that didn't speak English dropped a ball about 30 feet behind her and it took 3 holes of play before she stopped looking around glarring at him. :worthy: I wondered if he even knew how to say "FOUR!!" :D

In many ways, not just historically, I find Trials and Golf very similar. Simple basics and theory, but oh so difficult for the beginners to break instinctive bad habits and execute what is so easy for the experienced Golfer / Rider. And just a tiny bit off and it all falls apart.

We are using the video function in our digital cameras to help improve in exactly the same way we did for riding Trials. It really helps! :)

2Ply- you have a Westy Syncrobucket? I owned one of those for a lot of years. At the time I could have bought the 4 door pickup version of one but opted for the camper- still kicking myself. BTW, I like the classification idea- up north where I ride mostly it comes down to physical limitiations as opposed to John Q Law on a moto.

I'll be out east on Sunday for a lurk on my 315 or possibly a long-haul format ride from Leav to Chelan and back on my big orange pig. Should be a little cooler that day I hope.

"....4 door pickup version....." ??? Was that a Tri-Star? Those must be made of gold if you look at the price.

Actually, I own TWO of the Westy Syncros. :D It's like owning a Jaguar... best to have a few spares. :worthy:

Here is a photo of both of them in action (camping action) at the Mad River Trailhead at Maverick Saddle. You should know where that is Ned1. The photo is a panorama that I reduced, but it's still so long that it would mess up this page, so here is the link for it instead:

http://home.comcast.net/~jc-long/trials-misc/mav-camp1a.jpg

So when you say you ride "Up North", where would that be? And if you have a 315 Monty, why aren't we riding together? I'm trying now to get someone to come along on a ride up to Duncan Hill via the Anthem Creek Trail, maybe the weekend after Labor Day. Most of the guys over here on the West Side of the Cascades only ride the Trials Competition events and are afraid that it's too hot on the East side (that will be true this weekend .. but...). :)

P.S.

Ned1, I see in one of your posts that you possibly live in Redmond. I work in Factoria (Bellevue) and live in Maple Valley. Practically neighbors!!

Nope, not a Tri-Star but a straight up factory 4dr pickup. Mine was the same as the one on the right in the pic. Carumba, you're brave to own two of 'em.

Sure, I know the ground out east. I prefer riding there as opposed to the wet side for the few days I get a punch pass from the familia for local riding. Did a couple rides out there earlier in the year, actually.

North is the Chilcotins, Camelsfoot and Shulaps Ranges a few hours north of Whistler. Got a little backcountry hacienda up that way and a bunch of amigos on the MTB and trials backccountry trail riding program.

The Sept thing sounds interesting, just bear in mind I'm a year and change into owning/riding a trials bike so I'm still caught between the mountain bike and 325lb enduro headspace. We'll discuss as the time approaches.

Ya, north end of Redmond. A couple miles up the road above Red Hook.

Nope I'm this guy. :worthy:

:busted: is right. Obviously "nodab" is a much closer match to your user name on here than "Ned1". :blah::D:doh::p

2Ply how was that ride? Let me guess... hotter than 👍?

Ha ha!

I rode the Alder Ridge-Mad Lake-Chikamin Tie loop yesterday for the first time on a moto. Man... sure glad I didn't ride it on Saturday...

:worthy: is right. Obviously "nodab" is a much closer match to your user name on here than "Ned1". :busted::blah::D:doh:

2Ply how was that ride? Let me guess... hotter than 👍?

It was hot, but we got up to about 6,500 feet with a breeze and about 80 degrees instead of the 100 Plus in Cle Elum.

For a giant panorama of the summit destination, (too big to display here) you can download the 10 meg file here:

http://home.comcast.net/~jc-long/panorama/hawkins-mountain-8-16-08a2.jpg

And now some reduced size photos:

Taking a break on top from the heat below, looking into the Alpine Lakes Area of the Washington Cascade mountains:

on-top.jpg

A time out for reducing the pack weight by topping off the tanks while watching a fire helicopter at work:

fire-helicopter.jpg

My buddy Shaun's new Raga feeling right at home:

shaun-n-raga.jpg

And our buddy Jeremy, recently turned USFS Ranger was along for the ride on my 04 300 Pro but takes a break to clear a tree form the trail. We had to be careful on this ride because Jeremy could write us up with a ticket at any time, and judging by this photo, he could probably make us EAT it too!! :p

killer-ranger-jeremy.jpg

Very nice. That lake sure looks refreshing.

What software are you using for the pano?

Very nice. That lake sure looks refreshing.

What software are you using for the pano?

That was done with Archsoft's Panorama Maker 3. They have a newer version but I was not convinced that I needed it.

I have some info on some more professional pano software if anyone is interested with some really fantastic capabilities. My Canon Digital has a pano stitch assist mode that helps take the correct photos for less work from the stitching software.

Later: OK, I found the information I was waiting for at the office.. There are several Pano Programs that use the software engine from Matthew Brown and David Lowe from the University of British Columbia. They make their pano engine available for free download and Demo use under the name of Autostitch.

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

But you need to be a real program geek to figure out how to control it. But if you have some money and less time, you can buy several high-end Panorama Programs that have added the buttons and controls to this "engine" to make it easy.

One is Autopano Pro at http://www.autopano.net/ Check out their web page for some of the incredible features and abilities of this program.

Another that uses this engine is PanoramaPlus 3 from Serif at http://www.serif.com/panoramaplus/panoramaplus3/index.asp

There are several others listed on the Autostitch web page under Research and then Software. I plan to upgrade to one of these programs but have not had the time to spend with the demos... Maybe someone here can play with them and give a report ???

Ha ha!

I rode the Alder Ridge-Mad Lake-Chikamin Tie loop yesterday for the first time on a moto. Man... sure glad I didn't ride it on Saturday...

I'm getting ready for a serious but fun ride a little North and East of there very soon if you care to bring the Trials Bike. With this current rain coming, I'm monitoring the conditions for a ride to Duncan Hill, just above the Cottonwood Campground at the end of the Entiat River Road.

If I camp at Cottonwood, I'll ride up Duncan Hill on one day and the other day, I'll take a ride to a trail that I don't want to list here. It's too delicate for more than a few big bikes and has only received user maintenance since 1968.

I figure this coming weekend is prime, or if I don't go this weekend, then I may have to wait until the second weekend after Labor Day.

Sure, I know where you're talking. I did a little lurking around the upper Entiat, Shady road and up top near Big Hill last year on a solo long format D/S ride out of Leav. Ran into a pile of snow out on the hill and then a thick sheet of ice on the top half of the road down to the lake so it was a bit of a puckerfest to say the least.

That recent ride did yet another number to my Monty- I guess climbing several thousand feet right out of the box every ride I do takes its toll but I'm still unclear of my Monty's motor is able to deal with this stuff. Aside from a couple busted spokes the carb was running too rich and it gummed up the plug, cylinder, arrestor to the point that the bike refused to run. My bad carb tuning n00bness... but at least once I got it home and cleaned up the plug it fired up with a big cloud of black smoke. Hope the carb adj is all the problem amounts to. Any advice about damage from plug fouling, running these motors on long mofo climbs or otherwise is appreciated!

It was hot, but we got up to about 6,500 feet with a breeze and about 80 degrees instead of the 100 Plus in Cle Elum.

For a giant panorama of the summit destination, (too big to display here) you can download the 10 meg file here:

And now some reduced size photos:

Taking a break on top from the heat below, looking into the Alpine Lakes Area of the Washington Cascade mountains:

on-top.jpg

A time out for reducing the pack weight by topping off the tanks while watching a fire helicopter at work:

fire-helicopter.jpg

My buddy Shaun's new Raga feeling right at home:

shaun-n-raga.jpg

[/img]

Looks like I missed a good one, but you guys didn't have to wait for my rookie butt anyway. 👍 I'm figured they might be using Gallagher Head Lake for that Jack Creek fire. Did you see much smoke?

In your big panorama, did you happen to see Cooper Lake north of Pollalie Ridge? That's where our cabin is. I can see the snow-covered Chikamins (Lemah, Chikamin Peak, Chimney Rock, Bear's Breast) and those are just over the lake. I know there are certain areas over there where you can see it.

Damn I'm excited to get my bike up there!!!!! :worthy:

............ Did you see much smoke?

In your big panorama, did you happen to see Cooper Lake north of Pollalie Ridge? ............

For a panorama that has the smoke in it, download this one:

http://home.comcast.net/~jc-long/panorama/gallagher-lake-8-16-08d2.jpg

It seemed like the more water the Helo picked up, the bigger the fire became... Maybe the Prop-Wash was outperforming the water dumps.. 👍

Cooper Lake was around a corner to the far left from our viewpoint so we could not see it. But we could see which valley it was in.

Better hurry and get that bike together and a little practice in, this current rain session should make conditions perfect by next weekend.

We were in no hurry on Saturday with that heat, so for a 5 hour ride with plenty of stops, we only covered 13 miles. On Sunday, It was only Shaun and myself. We still took a lot of breaks but covered 21 miles with only a few miles suitable for Shaun's 450 Honda.. (He was taking inventory of trails that he could come back with the Honda for a sit-down ride)

The rest of the trails were definitely NOT Honda 450 suitable. In fact, we encountered a couple of places where we got off the bike and inched it across some places where the trail had slid away along with a couple of dead-stick, feet out bull-dog descent style switch-backs... For your information, you can avoid the Johnson Medra Trail West from the summit where the Koppen Mountain Ridge trail crosses it. The East side of that Trail is fun.

...............Any advice about damage from plug fouling, running these motors on long mofo climbs or otherwise is appreciated!

The exhaust system is designed to hold a certain amount of back pressure for proper torque, but a full rattle climb after weeks of putting around can dump more gunk into the spark arrestor than it can handle and create more back pressure which can build a lot of heat in the cylinder.

It would be best to limit the full throttle climbs in 5th or 6th gears to under a minute. Shift down when you can and give the motor a rest. If the bike is water cooled with a cooling fan, let the fan run a minute or two before you shut the motor off after each section of climbing. Better to do a series of shorter climbs instead of one long one.

If your carb jets are correct, it's a simple matter to adjust the idle mixture and or the slide needle position to clean it up. That Gas Gas video on carb adjustment shows the basic way to get the pilot jet adjusted correctly by blipping the throttle to test for when it reaches the lean point and then go back on the screw 1/3 to 1/2 turn toward rich.

The Delorto Pilot screw controls fuel, so turning it counter-clockwise is rich, while the Kehin screw controls air, so the same direction on the screw is toward lean. I don't know about the Montys.