Sign in to follow this  

This is why regular service is important

Summer is coming to a close, so I figured it was time to service the rear linkage on my sons CR85 (We park the bikes for summer). The local fall race series starts in just a couple weeks. It's never been broken down, lubed and inspected.....so why not, right?

Holy cow...what a mess! The right side of the swingarm had ONE...yes that is "1" needle bearing! Where did the others go? I have no idea.....but I bet that big hole had something to do with it! Where did the hole come from? I have no idea. The dust cover, was half destroyed. The rubber seal...gone. Now I know where that squeak was coming from.....

Now, I get to buy all new stuff. I see some used swingarms on ebay, but no big wheel replacements. IF I can't find one in the next 2 weeks, I'll be shelling out $500 bucks for an OEM swingarm assembly. This could be an expensive lesson.

DSC02510.jpg

DSC02511.jpg

DSC02512.jpg

Reminds me that I gotta look at mine again soon... I have 73.1 hrs on the meter on my bike, only did the whole greasing thing once, when it was brand new just out of the crate... (end of last year, oct 07) I used Maxima grease. So I hope its not too bad when I go to look at it again in the next little bit.

-- I did the steering head, axles, swing arm, swing arm linkage, and shock linkage.

-----Might be a good idea for you to take a look at the rest of the bearings on the bike that may need greasing. :D

Hope you can find a good used replacement swing arm :)

yup...do it...luckily, I did the headset last March, although it wasn't pretty either...it was nowhere near this bad. I did the top end last October...turns out, THAT was in pretty good shape. Luckily, I'm a fanatic when it comes to air filter maintenance and oil changes...

I think I'll be changing the fork oil tomorrow. I figure that's never been changed out either. Hopefully no surprises there.....

The pressure washer is not your friend.

The hole is interesting... would think maybe salt corrosion, but I don't see any real signs of it anywhere else... maybe a manufacturing defect in the swingarm left a bubble that corroded through?

Just got mine apart today.... Well everything wasn't too bad except for the lower shock bearing - I will need a new one of them, it was totally dried out and ugly. -- And I had re greased this one when I serviced the shock, about 30 hrs of riding ago... Must have been from all of that rain riding I was doing for the last 2 rides... Riding in rain, huge puddles, water crossing, etc. I hope I can find one for the weekend :) -- Not too much is kept in stock here -- I may end up getting the complete linkage kit if thats all that is avail...

---- Called the honda shop this morning, they actually had the 2 OEM parts in stock! The bearing and collar. going in later today to pick them up and get the bike back together.

lots and lots of never seize on anything that isnt a needle bearing or ball bearing when it comes to suspension linkage .

best yet is marine grade never seize and marine grease with teflon . every winter i pull apart my linkage and it is still lubed up .

That hole in the swingarm looks like a casting flaw. I would show it to Honda and ask for a new one. If not, I would just have it welded up and march on.

marine grade never seize and marine grease with teflon . every winter i pull apart my linkage and it is still lubed up .

That's a great TIP! I need to get some of that for my boat anyway!

I'm sure the local stealer-ship here will tell me to take a hike......I thought about having it patched up with a weld, but the ridge that the dustcap seats into is all chewed up and trashed. I don't think there's anything that can be done to rig it.

The pressure washer is not your friend.

The hole is interesting... would think maybe salt corrosion, but I don't see any real signs of it anywhere else... maybe a manufacturing defect in the swingarm left a bubble that corroded through?

I'm almost positive its a casting defect. Should have been caught too.

I've always said dirt and machinery doesn't mix too well but we make

it mix, cuz it's soooo much fun!:)

Thanks for the pic's and the reminder. My K-toom's squeakin in that area

and I need to address it this week.