New guy with XRL

Hi all, new guy here with a new to me 07 XRL. bought it yesterday from a guy that bought it new three months ago and put 850 miles on it. the pig is box stock so far.

I have looked through some of the posts here and I have decided to add a Utah Sports XRR skid plate. I also want to add some type of rack to the back fender to strap my lunch bag, etc. to, any suggestions? I may uncork it in the near future but for now I will just ride it. I plan on mostly doing mild dirt road riding in the high Sierras, nothing extreme. I have not had a road bike for 30 years although I have two ATV's (Suzuki Quadracer and 400EX) and have had other strictly dirt bikes and ATV's/ATC's over the years.

Ed

Welcome to the wonderful world of XRL owners, Ed. Some of the finest people you will ever meet in your lifetime ?

Martinfan will be your guide. The rest of us will be here to help as much as we can, or to just add snide remarks :ride:

Congratulations on your purchase of one of the finest motorcycles produced in a generation :D:worthy:

Welcome aboard atavuss! I was in kinda the same fix when I bought my '07 in December. I wanted a rack that I thought would look good. Most racks are designed around the bag on the rear fender. If you are willing to loose the bag, check out the Borrego rack from www.turbocity.com. I mounted one on my bike and I love it. It's well built, solid, and easy to install. Seach Borrego rack...I posted pics and install instructions.

-Joe

Hey welcome aboard!

As for the Rack: I have a brand new XR's only billet rear rack that I didn't like the fit on mine (I have a different rear fender and light with the sub frame removed). I'll let it go really, really cheap to ya. I live in the L. A. area but I work in the Mammoth Lakes area and Visalia quite often so if your interested, I'll hook ya up and meet somewhere. I'm just going by your riding the sierras and since I work on both sides, lol.... Thats if you like that style rack.

Hey welcome aboard!

As for the Rack: I have a brand new XR's only billet rear rack that I didn't like the fit on mine (I have a different rear fender and light with the sub frame removed). I'll let it go really, really cheap to ya. I live in the L. A. area but I work in the Mammoth Lakes area and Visalia quite often so if your interested, I'll hook ya up and meet somewhere. I'm just going by your riding the sierras and since I work on both sides, lol.... Thats if you like that style rack.

thanks for the welcome everyone! Gearloos, can you shoot me a link or picture of the rack? I was leaning towards the Borrego rack but that is not set in stone yet. BTW, I am in the Central Valley area of California (Stockton).

OK, I'll post a pic when I get back in town over the weekend. I'm writing this from a Hotel room in Visalia.

I'm going home tomorrow morning tho (Friday!! yay!)

Just look it up at XR's only for now.

ok, I saw the picture of the billet rack, how does it mount? does it mount on the turn signals somehow? when you say "really really cheap" how cheap are you talking? you can PM me if you prefer.

Hey Martinfan, it sure would be nice if you'd clean that bike up a bit before snapping pics and posting them here - you're gonna make this new guy think that we all keep dirty bikes! lol...seriously though, I really like your bike, it looks great!

:D

That's an old pic, and the pig is even dirtier now!

Plus I've done some more to it, so I should update my pics.?

Martin, are the CR high bends any wider than the stock ones? I have to fit my bike through a regular door and have to turn the stock ones a bit to get it to go through. I'm looking to upgrade next year and want to go a little higher, just not wider.

About the same. If you want narrower, I guess an atv bend would work. They are tall and have more sweep.

I may uncork it in the near future but for now I will just ride it.

u shud at least gain access to ur fuel screw to make basic adjustments to ur carb...sum come overly lean to the point of hurting the engine

with the properly sized grinder and/or file u can remove enough material from the carb stop to allow the fuel screw to be rotated through 360 degrees...with a little finesse this can be done w/o removing the carb.

?