Sign in to follow this  

XR650L vs. KTM.990

Some of my friends,:D are switching over. I hate Orange bikes, they cost to much, and fall apart.

What do you guys think.

Craig.:)

• Like 1

I thought the 990 was a older duke? Do you mean 950? They have a supermoto model, adventure model, and enduro model 950:excuseme:

I thought the 990 was a older duke? Do you mean 950? They have a supermoto model, adventure model, and enduro model 950:excuseme:

Next year they'll have a 960.

.....or a 940 :)

well Craig... you asked in the right place ... welcome to TT...ktm 990 vs a 650L... different horses for different courses

and "yes" ktms are pricey... and orange... reliability seems to be hit and miss

Not to mention to many flats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are they not made in China? :)

Some of my friends,:D are switching over. I hate Orange bikes, they cost to much, and fall apart.

What do you guys think.

Craig.:)

I think some of your friends have more money than... well heh...

Lets see, first the XRL:

Been on the road in one version or another for 20 years. Proven reliability. Plenty of power for on road use. Plenty of power for casual off road use. Suspension (when tweaked for your weight) is capable of decent off road performance, a few jumps here and there (It's not an R). Change the oil and adjust the chain (after the basic uncorking) and have fun for the next 20 years. Oh, you'll have to change a few tires in that and adjust the valves (maybe heh) a COUPLE times in that 20 years.

OK the KTM:

Well, it costs 2 times as much. It does have a lot more power but a usable difference? Not much unless you just want to blast zero to sixty or above legal limit on the frwy. Adjust the valves A LOT. Much more maintenance. Jump it a few times and see what my friend did with a cracked frame ( we just casual ride in the Cali desert). But you do have that ORANGE thing going for you. I can't say how it will look 20 years from now but you can imagine. I think a better comparison would be klr vs ktm heh

If your going SM then the KTM would prolly be better except for the breakdowns and the maintenance and the price and the weight.

not comparable motorcycles..honda does not have a comparable motorcycle here in the states to the 990. ktm is a dedicated off-road company with 30+ bikes in thier offroad line up. honda is all over the place in small engine markets and bring about a third the offroad bikes ktm does into the usa. im a huge fan of honda xr's and own a ktm450 & xr400. the 650l is a commuter the 990 is a globetrotter.

They both have their respectfull places, not a very equal comparison.

not comparable motorcycles..honda does not have a comparable motorcycle here in the states to the 990. ktm is a dedicated off-road company with 30+ bikes in thier offroad line up. honda is all over the place in small engine markets and bring about a third the offroad bikes ktm does into the usa. im a huge fan of honda xr's and own a ktm450 & xr400. the 650l is a commuter the 990 is a globetrotter.

Um if you count models. Somehow I bet if you count bikes Honda must sell a lot more motorcycles than KTM. I wouldn't be surprised if Honda sold more CRF450R's than KTM sold motorcycles.

Um if you count models. Somehow I bet if you count bikes Honda must sell a lot more motorcycles than KTM. I wouldn't be surprised if Honda sold more CRF450R's than KTM sold motorcycles.

And 450X's. I see those darn things everywhere! :)

If Honda were to import either XLV into the States, then maybe you could make a comparison. But since they don't, there really isn't one you can make here.

I do know that if I could swing the cash, without question I would have a new 990 Adventure S sitting in the garage next to my 650R.

The L pig is much more than a commuter. They do very well in the desert and when fitted properly, they too can trot the globe.

Some of my friends,:worthy: are switching over. I hate Orange bikes, they cost to much, and fall apart.

What do you guys think.

Craig.:D

Just be a friend...add a rack to you bike so you can help your friends carry back the pieces that fall off of their pumpkins :)

Different bikes for different purposes.

Comes down to you and your friends style of riding.

So before I comment, I ask:

What type of riding do you do?

What are your riding areas and speeds?

What do you want out of a dualsport?

:)

Some of my friends,:worthy: are switching over. I hate Orange bikes, they cost to much, and fall apart.

What do you guys think.

Craig.:D

www.dualsport-sd.com

He started the thread over there, and didn't like all the orange responses, so he came over to the 650 forum to ask...

rodrigeo- you are, obviously, right...for what craig does, and for the color of his blood, the 650L is a better choice... Craig has 3 "dual sport" Hondas, and would buy nothing else (admit it, Craig... you would not buy a pumpkin, or a beemer)

I ride the L and love it, a bunch of kooks that cant ride, over at SDAR ,talk smack about the L, They need the lightest, fastest bike, to ride slow, and crash alot. I wish some of the hardcore L riders, from T.T. would come on over to SDAR, to level the playing field.

Craig. Hammerin Hammon.

You guys are all way too nice. We wouldn't be in this forum every day unless we thought Honda's rule and KTM's drool. Here's why KTM's suck and Honda's don't:

👍:worthy::busted::blah::D:doh::p

- MY XR650L can climb Mount Everest towing 6 broken down KTM's with flat tires and seized engines.

- It gets 100 miles to a gallon.

- It can jump 100 feet and all you feel on the landing is a soft "pooof."

- It has 55,000 miles on it and I have never even changed the oil. or the tires.

- I bought it for $100 brand new.

- I used it to pull out a semi truck in a blizzard.

- Everywhere I ride people stop and stare in amazement at the gorgeous lines and beautiful colors of this state-of-the art bike.

- Beautiful women literally jump out of their cars at stoplights to catch a ride on the back of my bike (that's how I met my wife).

- My insurance company pays ME to ride it because it is so safe.

- In addition to the State Bird, State Flower, etc, Colorado Legislature is declaring that the HONDA XR650L is the STATE MOTORCYCLE!!!

Then again, if I won the lottery, I wouldn't mind throwing $12,000 down the drain on a new KTM🤣