Sign in to follow this  

Is it possible to get a street for a 2007 WR?

I would like to plate my 2007 WR but before I spend the money on the light kit I was wondering if anyone has been able to do this at dmv. Thanks.

+10,000

Consider yourself lucky to be able to ride it at all in California.

At least you have a green sticker. My '05 is red.

+10,000

Consider yourself lucky to be able to ride it at all in California.

At least you have a green sticker. My '05 is red.

doesn't your 05 have ais. I gave up with cali, and bought a KTM.

talk to joe racer, they can get your WR street legal for like 1500 dollars or something around that. http://www.joeracerproducts.com/

also baja designs http://www.bajadesigns.com/ at the bottom of the page, right hand side under "LATEST NEWS" has instructions on how to street legalize a dirt bike in california, the "requirements"

good luck bro. btw do you live in NorCal or SoCal?

'06 added AIS on the WR250. The '05 450 had it.

The '05 250 has the dreaded "C" or "3" in the VIN and there's no way DMV will plate it.

Even the green stickered WR's are pretty much impossible to plate. I know Joeracer has all of the products available to get it to meet the basic highway safety requirements, but CA has gone apeshit on emissions and it just ain't gonna happen unless you have a friend at the DMV that'll squeak it through for you.

Even with AIS, the WR's are still lacking the evap system required on street vehicles... before issuing a plate, they are going to be looking for the emissions sticker on the frame.

Yup, and after jumping though all the hoops, and maybe getting a plate, at some point, a desk jockey is going to review VINs. He may revoke your plate and you will have to go through hoops to get it reinstated, if you even can.

well, joe racer does custom work, so I think he can change your registration to special construction thus doesn't need to meed emissions standards, only safety. but it won't be a yamaha anymore.

if your really serious about it, call them. they make there living off of dualies

Does he guarantee it will always be able to be plated in CA? Not to be a chop buster but I know a few people that had 'Special Vehicle Regs' and they got pulled because the machine was "Not That Special".

Does he guarantee it will always be able to be plated in CA? Not to be a chop buster but I know a few people that had 'Special Vehicle Regs' and they got pulled because the machine was "Not That Special".

I have no idea, when I heard you have to turn it into a custom bike, I said to heck with it, and got the guaranteed street legal bike.

It does not hurt to call though. if your really serious about putting a bike that goes 80mph with a engine that sings at 13,500 rpms on the street. I did not like my wr on the street, I just wanted the plate to go more places

I have no idea, when I heard you have to turn it into a custom bike, I said to heck with it, and got the guaranteed street legal bike.

It does not hurt to call though. if your really serious about putting a bike that goes 80mph with a engine that sings at 13,500 rpms on the street. I did not like my wr on the street, I just wanted the plate to go more places

LOL, same reason I plated my WR. I never ride on the street, except to to main jet tests and when off road, to get fuel and lunch. Bare minimum.

Move to Michigan, I don't know why anyone would want to live in CA anyway. There is a dealership in town, that has WR's on the floor with hi/low headlight, brake light plate holder, rear view mirror and horn and they can be titled. The first thing everybody does back here is change the exhaust, intake, remove the AIS. That being said, stock these things don't go fast enough down the road to get out of the way of slow moving trucks.

Move to Michigan, I don't know why anyone would want to live in CA anyway. There is a dealership in town, that has WR's on the floor with hi/low headlight, brake light plate holder, rear view mirror and horn and they can be titled. The first thing everybody does back here is change the exhaust, intake, remove the AIS. That being said, stock these things don't go fast enough down the road to get out of the way of slow moving trucks.

for one, we can ride year around. two, you can't beat the open desert, three, the riding is so versatile were even allowed to ride on some beaches.

California's laws might suck, but there is so many places to go riding its awesome.

Like I was riding along with my buddy, we were going over a wash, pulled off the road, mobbed down and went through it and went 10mi to his house, all off road inbetween rocks, boulders, sand washes

Head lamp, running light, rear, brake light, mirror, and if you can use your hands you have blinkers. Tag on the way:p

i thought you were kidding at first. i went to michigan and it was miserable.

well anyway, my friend brought his 2002 wr450 all of the way to arizona and got it legal there. he bought the baja designs kit and threw that on so now he can ride it on the street, and its practically green stickered :):D:worthy:

i thought you were kidding at first. i went to michigan and it was miserable.

well anyway, my friend brought his 2002 wr450 all of the way to arizona and got it legal there. he bought the baja designs kit and threw that on so now he can ride it on the street, and its practically green stickered :):D:worthy:

the problem with that is, if he gets caught riding in cali with a arizona bike and its in his name and has a cali drives license. they are going to know whats up and take his plate

I had no idea. The reason you need plates here is that at least in the LP part of the state, the trails must be marked open to traffic ORV type, or you are illegal. With a plate you can go just about anywhere there is a trail, road, two track, you just can't bust out into the open and make your own.

Good luck. Just finished the writeup comp the 250 Kaw and Yam dual purpose bikes, and maybe should have gone that route.

I had no idea. The reason you need plates here is that at least in the LP part of the state, the trails must be marked open to traffic ORV type, or you are illegal. With a plate you can go just about anywhere there is a trail, road, two track, you just can't bust out into the open and make your own.

Good luck. Just finished the writeup comp the 250 Kaw and Yam dual purpose bikes, and maybe should have gone that route.

In reading the DMV specs, and from looking at sineage, it's not really clear how it is here in CA.

It SEEMS that you still need OHV registration for off-highway activity, but it also appears that a plate allows free access everywhere.

Taking off and making your own trails... that's a tough call there. In many BLM areas, you cannot leave marked trails, regardless of your registration status.

In pratice? My buddy and I have red-stickered '05 WR250s, and we pretty much live on the east side of Salton Sea other than an occasional trip to Ocotillo or Glamis. There's a lot of private property, both fenced and unfenced, and a lot of dirt roads, including Coachella Canal Road, which will lead you to Bradshaw Trail.

My suspicion is that most of these roads (definitely Coachella Canal Road) legally require a plate. We have encountered rangers/DFG officers from time to time and never more than a smile and a wave as we pass.

I think in most cases, at least in that area, if you are only using a "road" to connect trails or to get to/from camp... especially if you are off of the pavement... you will probably not be bothered, but be aware that it is still illegal... certainly a paved road.... though I wouldn't go blasting down Hwy 111 unless it's an emergency. CHP may not be as friendly as the Imperial County Mounties.

you forgot Anza Borego..... I love riding out there. that road that goes through ocotillo to different camp sights, I've ridden on it, and no one bothered me, and my WR was LOUD!!! doesn't hurt there is an entire desert to my side I could go run away in :) one of my friends took his 450X into the salton sea, no one would help him load it, there was fish guts on his fenders.

In reading the DMV specs, and from looking at sineage, it's not really clear how it is here in CA.

It SEEMS that you still need OHV registration for off-highway activity, but it also appears that a plate allows free access everywhere.

Taking off and making your own trails... that's a tough call there. In many BLM areas, you cannot leave marked trails, regardless of your registration status.

In pratice? My buddy and I have red-stickered '05 WR250s, and we pretty much live on the east side of Salton Sea other than an occasional trip to Ocotillo or Glamis. There's a lot of private property, both fenced and unfenced, and a lot of dirt roads, including Coachella Canal Road, which will lead you to Bradshaw Trail.

My suspicion is that most of these roads (definitely Coachella Canal Road) legally require a plate. We have encountered rangers/DFG officers from time to time and never more than a smile and a wave as we pass.

I think in most cases, at least in that area, if you are only using a "road" to connect trails or to get to/from camp... especially if you are off of the pavement... you will probably not be bothered, but be aware that it is still illegal... certainly a paved road.... though I wouldn't go blasting down Hwy 111 unless it's an emergency. CHP may not be as friendly as the Imperial County Mounties.

My '05 WR250 is plated but that's cuz it only cost me $50 in parts. The gear spread is too small to cruise comfortably over 40 mph with 13/49 and you wouldn't want to go much taller than that for offroad. Basically it's not a bike you'd want to ride on the road other than short distances to connect trails so I'd say it's not worth putting blinkers and stuff on. Get a KTM 450EXC if your area requires blinkers and emissions. To think, I almost moved to Cali after college.