Sign in to follow this  

Checking for lean or rich, plug colors and exhaust smells.

Hey guys, i was wondering why there is not a stickie that explains what color plugs should be when jetting is proper, and also explain what the exhaust should smell like when your not running to lean or rich.

Recently I re-jetted my klx300 and I was wondering what the exhaust should smell like, because now its pretty potent, kinda that nasty smell that older cars have...

Am I to rich or to lean?

Thanks!

You smell your exhaust? Just kidding, I usually can tell by how the bike is riding. If there are any hesitations or bogs remember at what throttle position they are at as that can tell you alot. Are you fouling plugs? Ideally a plug should have a chocolate/mocha color, I still can't get mine to look like that (still black) but I'm working on it.

spark plug color means nothing with modern fuels.

unless the pilot circuit is way too rich you wont be able to tell anything by smell.

So how can I tell what my fuel richness is? And how will I know rather to raise or lower the clip on the needle?

pilot circuit is easy.you set it via idle reaction to the fuel screw as out lined in the pinned thread at the top of the forum.