Sign in to follow this  

dead drz input wanted please

looking for a little input from the experts on my dead E model.

it started with one miss, then progressed until the bike just died.

it felt like the back tire was locking as the engine missed before it died a few times.

i assumed it was an electrical problem. after it died, the battery wouldn't spin the motor over, but the headlight was on & bright - seemed odd.

started looking at it tonight. even with a fully charged battery(13.2 volts), the motor was not spinning freely.

i checked the valve clearances. turning the motor over with the rear wheel & bike in 5th gear was a real chore. it stopped rotating just before TDC on the intake stroke. everything looked ok under the valve cover to me.

anyway, it seems like i have a serious motor problem here. bearing or bad ring possibly.

should this be real obvious?

my next step will be to drain the oil & inspect for metal, then pull the side covers. then pull the cylinder i guess.

eddie, i'd love to hear from you on this. i know you're a busy guy.

if i do need an overhaul, i would like to send it your way.

go back and check the valves sounds like valves maybe out of time hitting the piston or bent

I would be supect valves ??? since the motor stops spinning right before TDC

My guess is your tearing this baby down, unless you find something obvious inside a side cover?

How many miles?.....curious

hard to say.could be a multitude of causes.

my guess is rod bearing failure.

same offer as always.pull it out and send it to me.i will tear it down and tell you where your at with different options.

if you decide not to fix it all you owe is return shipping.

• Like 1

go back and check the valves sounds like valves maybe out of time hitting the piston or bent

i only checked the valve clearances.

they were pretty much all the same as the last inspection, except for one exhaust valve. the right exhaust valve clearance increased approx. .0015".

i guess that's the one huh

i'm sure when i pull it apart i'll drop a valve

eddie, do/would you still woek on a motor a customer tore apart? i'd like to see what's going on in the top end if possible.

I would be supect valves ??? since the motor stops spinning right before TDC

My guess is your tearing this baby down, unless you find something obvious inside a side cover?

How many miles?.....curious

yeah, i guess i just needed to hear it from someone else. i was sooo hoping it was just another stator. it had a good run. long live the drze

i've put 16,265 on it. as it was a used E model when i bought it, i have no idea how many miles were on it. i do know it needed a cam chain soon after i bought it

hard to say.could be a multitude of causes.

my guess is rod bearing failure.

same offer as always.pull it out and send it to me.i will tear it down and tell you where your at with different options.

if you decide not to fix it all you owe is return shipping.

that is a great offer

i'm going to drop the oil tomorrow & the side covers after work tomorrow just to have a look. probably is the rod bearing. a little under 8,000 miles ago, i had a stator bolt issue.

i'd like to pop the cylinder off to have a look & learn something if the above leads me to it.

would that be a problem?

i could re-assemble if needed prior shipping to you. if it's a problem, no big deal.

Holy crap eddie,

Just want to sincerely give you a big :) I don't know why you do what you do for all us guys on this forum, but really........Thanks! I am a father or 4 kids, one in college, and this forum convinced me to get the DRZ because I got the guts to say "what the heck, I can do alot of the work myself with all of your inputs on here". I couldn't/wouldn't be able to handle 90 an hour fees for a mechanic every time I needed work done.

Hombre

it can be apart when you ship it.just make sure to bag the hardware for each part seperately.saves me from having to sort it.

Sorry to hear about your bike roundeye....one good thing at least you have a backup DRZ !!!

Sorry to hear about your bike roundeye....one good thing at least you have a backup DRZ !!!

thanks retro

yeah, 2 drz's got me spoiled never having to swap wheels, etc..

now if i want to ride SM, i got to do the swap thing. life was good.

in a perfect world, i would have shut the bike down as soon as i had the 1st stumble, but i was commuting home on the highway & wanted to get as close to help/ride home as possible. as usual, i make things harder for myself.

thanks eddie :)

i should have a chance to have a look tonight.

sorry to hear steve - if you need any support - whether it be a hand working on the bike, -or- any parts i can give you to help get her back on the road - you have my #.

i'd be MORE than happy to help any way i can

Dj

sorry to hear steve - if you need any support - whether it be a hand working on the bike, -or- any parts i can give you to help get her back on the road - you have my #.

i'd be MORE than happy to help any way i can

Dj

thanks dj

i may need some support - like "everything will be fine" or "don't worry, you'll be right back out there kid" "it's only money asshead" lol that kinda thing.

thanks dj

i may need some support - like "everything will be fine" or "don't worry, you'll be right back out there kid" "it's only money asshead" lol that kinda thing.

it'll be ok :)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=64538

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=64537

definitely not electrical :D:)

i pulled the motor tonight. maybe tomorrow i'll pull the head & cylinder.

eddie, is there a good chance this is scrap at this point?

i'm trying to plan my next step - wether i pull it apart further, send it to you as is, buy a used running motor, etc.. if i send it off to you, i'd obviously want to go beyond stock. just not sure if this motor is a good candidate for it.

that's just what i needed dj, thanks

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=64538

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=64537

definitely not electrical :D:)

i pulled the motor tonight. maybe tomorrow i'll pull the head & cylinder.

eddie, is there a good chance this is scrap at this point?

i'm trying to plan my next step - wether i pull it apart further, send it to you as is, buy a used running motor, etc.. if i send it off to you, i'd obviously want to go beyond stock. just not sure if this motor is a good candidate for it.

that's just what i needed dj, thanks

its really hard to say.

im pretty confident it had a rod bearing failure.not a huge deal.question is wether or not it ruined the cylinder.there again not a big deal and easily cured by a big bore kit.

as long as the head survived your most likele better off fixing that motor than taking a gamble on a used motor.

most of the "good deal" used motors ive seen are hammered. the obvious low miles ones bring alot more money.