Sign in to follow this  

More OOMPHH!!!

Guys I have a 2001 Chevy silverado Z71, And I am doing some pretty serious bolt-ons to it and I have a few ?'s. So far all I have done is put a AEM "brute Force" CAI, and my next step is to do the exhaust. What I had in mind was to bolt up some headers with 2.5"/in-2.5"/out high flow cats with of course 2.5" pipe straight out the back.But what I was wondering is does anybody have much experience with headers and what are some good companies to start with.If I do the headers I'm gonna have a shop put them on.After the exhaust I'm gonna buy a programmer(I have been looking around and have decided on the Hypertech "max energy" programmer). So if anybody could help me out with the headers situation that would be good.

Thanks

Best get ceramic coated, whatever you choose-this will help keep the engine compartment from soaking up the exhaust heat.

That, and throw that CAI in the trash-it's sucking hot air from the engine compartment, instead of cool air from outside the engine compartment.

218000DP.jpg

Hooker headers agreed. Those bolts on though will so gains but nothing REALLY noticeable, But will have improvements. Header gains really only come with engines that have work done to them.

I like SLP. There stuff fits well but is pricey at around $700. I have the following done to my 05 RCSB 2wd GMC. SLP stainless cat back, K/N cai with a modded ram air airbox, Granatelli MAF, wires and TB spacer, and a PCMs For Less reprogrammed PCM. I baselined the truck at 15.7s with alot of wheelspin before any mods and ended up with a very traction limited 15.0. It has a open rear and 3.73 gears. With traction, locking rear and stickier tires, I think it may go close to mid 14s. It tows much better now also and does get a bit better gas mileage, although thats not why I did the mods, it was a nice little side benefit. The LS based engines, 4.8/5.3/5.7/6.0 etc., respond well to the typical bolt ons. The next group of mods will be a Eaton posi, SLP headers, torque converter (maybe), cam and maybe a LS6 intake swap, and offcourse some more programming. Check out LS1Truck.com

I want to see how fast we can get it to go w/o a blower or any other power adder. Ive seen some mid to high 12s with a naturaly aspirated 5.3. Thats not my goal though, I want to keep it driveable and reliable.

Get your PCM tuned after you do all of the bolt ons...

I recommend Justin at Blackbear performance. He has a great reputation and he actually tunes for your specific modifications and driving conditions, unlike the generic chips and programmers.

I don't know why I waited so long to get mine done! (And my truck is basically stock).

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571560&highlight=blackbear+performance

If you search for Blackbear on any full size GM truck forum you will only find positive reviews. I did a lot of research before doing the tune and I haven't been disappointed. The truck now runs how it should have from the factory.

Doug Thorley's hands down. They made a huge difference in power all the way through the rpm's on my 95 sierra with a 5.7

also, as mentioned b4, definitely throw down the extra $$ for the ceramic coated ones...you'll be happy you did.

Studboy, are you still able to run 87 OCT after the tune?? I have heard most of the reprograms require you to run 93.

the headers will wake it up. Personally I like high quality stainless for daily drivers and fully ceramic coated for modded motors. it pushes the heat into the rest of the system (coated) and keeps the under hood temps a bit lower

I did alittle research on the Doug Thorleys and they are alittle out of my price price range. But I looked alittle more and the Banks "Torque Tubes" are $675 and they seemed like a good quality header but there stainless steel.So now its between Banks, or Dynomax. But as far as the programming goes its still between the Hypertech or the blackbear tuning. But thanks for all the comments guys and keep them coming.

I did alittle research on the Doug Thorleys and they are alittle out of my price price range. But I looked alittle more and the Banks "Torque Tubes" are $675 and they seemed like a good quality header but there stainless steel.So now its between Banks, or Dynomax. But as far as the programming goes its still between the Hypertech or the blackbear tuning. But thanks for all the comments guys and keep them coming.

if you have narrowed it down to banks or dynomax, i would recommend going with banks because i have a lot of buddies who have had different banks products and are very happy with them. as far as hypertech or blackbear, I don't have personal experience with either but I am GUESSING that the custom tune from blackbear would most likely be a little better than hypertech because it is sort of generic...not to put it down or anything...i have the superchip programmer and i think it is along the same lines as the hypertech. good luck :)

Studboy, are you still able to run 87 OCT after the tune?? I have heard most of the reprograms require you to run 93.

I run regular in my truck, I had him tune it for it. It runs great.

If you want a bit more power and performance he can tune it for premium.

i think most tuners have the option of running an 87 octane or 91 octane tune. superchip has stock w/ options (change tire size, axle ratio, etc) 87 octane (more mild performance gain), performance (this is 91), and towing (also 91).