how much do bike mechanics make?

hello guys...im going into 11th grade and i have an opportunity to take boces for atv/dirtbikes...i wanna take it because the teacher is a bike mechanic and they have all sorts of machines...powder coating machines/dynos/boring and honing machines etc. I can take my bike into the shop whenever and work on it as long as i buy the parts...now i think its a great idea because i can fix and maintain my bike without having to pay the dealership...also i can learn how to adjust the vlaves and such on my 4 stroke...this BOCES class is like a college course and they say it helps getting a job as a bike mechanic...what i wanna know is if i take this for 11th and 12th grade and become a bike mechanic will i make a good salary? how does it compare to automobile mechanics? Should i just stick with my auto class that works on cars? What would you guys do? thanks in advance:thumbsup:

In case you dont know...BOCES is a program that you leave school after 7th period and you get home on the after school bus.

you won't starve and you won't get rich, and always be employed, its a job you got have in your heart, and love it, because its not the easiest at times. salary range about 15 to 25k to start after many years and moves could reach 65 to 70k yearly depends on where when and how.

i would think that an auto mechanic would make a better salary, but knowing both(auto and motorcycle) would make yourself that much more employable in the future. take motorcycle junior year, then auto your senior year. then decide which one you like more, you may find out that you don't want to do either, or that you like one more than the other. try not to limit yourself, you're still young. you have a long time to figure out what you want to do for a living. kudos though:applause: at least you're thinking about your future.

thanks guys...i think im gonna just take the dirtbike boces just because dirtbikes are gonna stick with me for a looooong time so the more i know about them then the better off ill be. Im gonna call my guidance counselor tomorrow and talk about how my schedule is gonna be and what classes im gonna get rid of to take boces...maybe i can somehow take the auto and the boces...lol....thanks for the answers guys....everybody else feel free to jump in with more answers!? TT is the best!

Mechanics make crap. Trust me. Unless you owb your own shop (then its long hours). I have been on both sides of the wrench and I can tell you from experience that they don't make very much. As it was stated, you won't starve cause there is always work, however, don't plan on making enough to live like a king.

wrench turners don't make good money. I would imagine a good mechanic could make a decent living. Don't be expecting to make $100k. Look into going to like the Motorcycle Institute and get some kind of degree and certifications. And I bet a lot of people on here would agree doing something you absolutely love, can be better than making a ton of money pushing buttons behind a desk. Just don't be a guy with a high school diploma and a tool box. Education will always help you make more money, don't let anyone tell you different.

i think median salary last year was $11/hour ( around $25,000 a year)

not good...but like others said, you wont starve, but remember, if you are truley happy in what you are doing, then who cares about the money...(unless you find yourself in a bad financial situation)

and like others have said, get a certificate or degree from a place like wyotech or mmi, you will make more $$$ and you will get a job easier...

peace!! suzook...

fwiw,

The last time I saw any data, the difference in lifetime income for a guy with a high school diploma and a guy with a 4 year college degree was more than a million dollars.

Money isn't everything. Follow your passion.

Maybe you will get stoked from the experience and choose to go off to college to study mechanical engineering. Maybe you are the next Shelby.

Income depends a lot on where you live. Some people have suggested 11 bucks an hour. Around here, San Jose, that is only a little over minimum wage. I think the guys around here make a little more than that. After all, studio appartments rent for a grand a month here.

First off congratulations on your attitude. Stand proud with your bike passion mainly riding. ? But like I said your very young and full of go hard for as long as you live it. Get as mainy degrees,one at a time,get in a good shop get your time and bennies and set up oganized shade tree and I bet you will make money. I bet you will be very pleased if you do it clean and organized. 60-90 hours work at your age is a cake walk. Way more then $11/hour.

Shade tree also means in your shed to garage. In mycase living roomand garage.

I work at a bike shop (service writer....sometimes feel like the manager). A good tech that is working on flat rate can make upwards of 78-80k a year (also depends on experience). One thing that you have to understand is that you govern your own paycheck when you work flat rate (i.e. if you can bust out jobs and get them done quick = more money for you, and the total opposite is the truth too! you can work 50 hours and get paid for 20 if you are slow and/or have comebacks).

I definitely believe you can do it as a career. I believe the main goal would be to eventually become self employed. Learn it, work for a co. or various companies, build your experience and save up until you're confident enough to start up something on your own and that's when the best potential of income is going to fall into play. It may not be real easy and it does take a lot of guts but worst case is you always fall back on working for someone else. If it works out, you will be in tip top shape!

Im in the same situation as you right now, BUT i live in Arizona, and MMI isnt far down the road! Over this comming summer im doing a class at Glendale Community College for Autos, then Senior Year(next year) I go to GCC after lunch i believe, until some time im unaware of for more Autos. If I like the Autos ill probably stick with it and go to either UTI or AAI (Arizona Automotive Institute)

The good thing about UTI is that MMI is a branch of it.

And about the whole "self employed" thing, thats my dream and goal. My Mechanic that does the harder work for me does it out of a garage in his backyard. He makes TONS of money, and owns a Viper. He had however two a few months ago, both red and blue, but sold the blue one. He also bought a Hummer H2 after he worked on one and liked it lol. I want the ability to do that someday.

I agree with Chad30. You may want to look at going to school (college) for business or something. I worked construction with a guy who had a degree in finance and ran his own construction company. He is one of the few successful small home builders here because he understands the business and money side of home building so well. Same would apply for owning you own shop. Sorry I have so much to say about this. I am got a year left before I will have a degree in Business/ Marketing and plan to open my own business.

i have worked as a mechanic for 6 years. Today i make 25 and hour working at a local car shop. I have worked as a bike tech for years and never made more than 15 and hour. Im only 19 but work very hard. Even that said i have hit a dead end with this job. That is why im hitting the books and getting and engenering degree. I would say dont set your self to be only a tech use it as a steping stone to biger things.

• Like 1

I have been working as a bike mech for the past 3 years, and it does wear on you. Your question has been answered as to how much they make. A big factor is where you live, and if it is a seasonal job. Slows down in the winter, kinda thing.

Trust me... You will soon come to hate working on even your own bikes. I took pleasure in changing the timing belt and water pump in a Plymouth Voyager 3.0L. It was not doing a top end, or replacing seals. Day in and day out will kill your enthusiasm quick. Not to sound dreary about it, but it will take the joy out of it.

If you do become proficient at it, your friends will leach off of you for free fixes.