Sign in to follow this  

improving my 07 650 L exhaust

On my 07 650 L (ridden on street and trails) with Dave's mods completed I am looking to upgrade my exhaust. What would be the most bang for the buck? The billet end covers and inserts for my stock muffler are inexpensive, but is there any performance gain? What is the difference in a silencer, a spark arrestor, and a muffler?

I have a 93L with Dave's mods. I was running the stock pipe, then I did the mod to the stock pipe. A little better, and to day I just finest installing a FMF Q2, header pipe and all, I know the price is kind of hi but I guess you get what you pay for. Does it make it run better? Ho yes!!! Does it sound better? You better belive it? :)

Installed a power bomb and Q2 on my 06 l a few weeks ago. Great power and sound I strongly recommend at least a slip on for now. I tried all the mods for the exhaust and the only difference was weird sound changes.

The white brothers E-2 makes great power, but is loud as hell. The FMF Q2 makes good power and is louder than stock nut not irratating. Reccommend the FMF Q2, available almost everywhere. Run a Dynojet 165 main jet (my personal preference), 55 Kehien pilot, 2 /14 turns out on the air fuel screw. Uni air filter.

Welcome to TT.:)

I use the E2 series. Also look at finding an E series pipe. Check ebay for these as they are no longer made. I do not recommend a larger header unless you have done internal engine mods.

I'm running the FMF Q4 and I noticed only a slight improvement in performance. Initially I was really pleased with the exhaust note, as it got rid of the "chirpy" sound from the stock can without being obnoxiously loud. After about two days the packing flattened out and the bike is now too loud for my liking. It is considerably louder than my XR600 with a traditional Trapp slip-on with 8 discs. The pipe is mostly bling in my opinion. I'm still buying the header pipe though.

Welcome to TT.👍

I use the E2 series. Also look at finding an E series pipe. Check ebay for these as they are no longer made. I do not recommend a larger header unless you have done internal engine mods.

Hey martinfan30, you mention here not going to a larger header unless internal engine mods are done. Three questions maybe you could help with:

1. What internal mods are you referring too. (I'm guessing bigger bore? Some time I'd like to go with the 671cc upgrade from XRs Only... which leads to question two)

2. XRs Only has a header pipe (I think stainless steel (SS)) for the "L". Do they have a stock sized SS header? I was thinking about getting that to go for the complete exhaust system. Is the one for the “L” an over sized header, should I not use this until I've gone to a bigger bore? (Ok, that more than just one question)

3. I too like how quiet the stock bike is but also dislike the lawn mower sound. So what's the quietist (none stock) pipe which will also help power? (I prefer quite over power… but I like power too. I like the looks of the E2 and I’ve seen them offered even in TTs store and other websites but its been said they are no longer available. If I could get one I like the look but I don’t want loud. Know of any threads or links to help out? TIA) OK, that’s more than one question too. …dang!

Hey martinfan30, you mention here not going to a larger header unless internal engine mods are done. Three questions maybe you could help with:

1. What internal mods are you referring too. (I'm guessing bigger bore? Some time I'd like to go with the 671cc upgrade from XRs Only... which leads to question two)

Yep, cam, big bore/high comp pistons.

2. XRs Only has a header pipe (I think stainless steel (SS)) for the "L". Do they have a stock sized SS header? I was thinking about getting that to go for the complete exhaust system. Is the one for the “L” an over sized header, should I not use this until I've gone to a bigger bore? (Ok, that more than just one question)

All the after market header pipes are larger in diameter, and flow better. This may effect your low end torque. Great for top end, but like said, not worth it on a stock engine.

You can go with the bigger header with a stock engine, and it may work great for you. My crystal ball dyno is inop. at the moment. 👍

3. I too like how quiet the stock bike is but also dislike the lawn mower sound. So what's the quietist (none stock) pipe which will also help power? (I prefer quite over power… but I like power too. I like the looks of the E2 and I’ve seen them offered even in TTs store and other websites but its been said they are no longer available. If I could get one I like the look but I don’t want loud. Know of any threads or links to help out? TIA) OK, that’s more than one question too. …dang!

I only have experience with the E-series (disc type, i.e. SuperTrapp), and the E2 series. The E2 is loud with the competition tip in and ok with the sparky tip. Still quieter than the E-Series, depending on how many disc's are installed.

Thanks for the help martinfan30. I want to keep my motor stock (reliable) except for (quiet) exhaust, air filter, carb mods and some time down the road a big bore kit (I think?). I need the torque down low in the basement (thus the bb kit) because of the riding I do here in western Colorado is some times brutal and the bike MUST be able to grunt through it. I could have a smaller bore bike and change the gearing but it also needs to be able to handle Interstate Hwy speeds too. (thus the 650)