Sign in to follow this  

Need a durable way to paint aluminum

I repainted my rear brake resevoir protector, but it chips from my boot hitting it. Does anyone know how I could paint or coat other then then taking it to a paint shop that will make it hold up to abuse?

I would try to find a place that does anodizing. The finish looks great and is an oxide layer that is actualy stronger thatn the aluminum its self.

For just the one piece I would go powder coat, it's cheaper and it would be very easy to find someone locally to do it. If you can get a bunch of other parts together that you want to get coated at once then go anodizing, plus I think anodizing looks cooler.

Here's a link to a forum with some people discussing anodizing vs. powder coating

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=195765

I've read that aluminum needs an etch primer to bond well. Like vari-prime or I've found zinc phosophate primer in the rattle can that works pretty good.

go to a paint shop (auto) and ask them a zinc-phosphate, or a zinc-chromate.(no idea how to spell it) Both are self etching, but one holds up better but I don't remember which one.

Ideally you alodine then prime then paint.

Alodine is an acid wash (etch) that removes the existing oxide layer, then a zinc chromate primer, then whatever decorative paint.

Before it starts, you strip the oxide layer off. Then when the etch solution is neutralized a new one forms of a more uniform thickness allowing consistent primer bonding and better corrosion control properties. The zinc chromate provides the corrosion control characteristics of the primer.

RV shops typically carry the stuff.

I gave up on the link.......

If you really care go to the RV shop. If you have money and want durable go powdercoat. Too much money / bling. Anodizing. :)